Water in tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have tried having water in my little guys tank a few times, sometimes with bits of greens or bites in it, but all he does is make a mess of it.
I try to give him a soak at least once every other day, though usually it's less, but he gets one at least three times a week, alongside some bits of water on his snout throughout.
I know he CAN drink, I've seen him do it, when I was giving him a soak, but he doesn't drink from whatever I put in his tank.
Does he need to have water in his tank?
He doesn't seem dehydrated, he is very active, and his poop seems normal, although sometimes, it looks really mushy and liquid like.
I just want to make sure I'm not depriving him of an important source... I'm afraid that while he seems fine now, I might be actually hurting him for the long run.

(also, does anyone else's beardie refuse to poop in their tank? mine does. He only ever poops on me, the couch, the floor, or his soak-tub.)

Mordecai

Juvie Member
They don't need water in there tanks. They get hydration from the crickets and veggies. My dragon will not poop in his tank either. We have him on a schedule. Every morning I turn his lights on and about an hr later I put him in his tote and he poops in there and then he is good for the rest of the day and I don't have to worry about accidents.

CMJHBFantasy

Original Poster
Mordecai":1hwor90k said:
They don't need water in there tanks. They get hydration from the crickets and veggies. My dragon will not poop in his tank either. We have him on a schedule. Every morning I turn his lights on and about an hr later I put him in his tote and he poops in there and then he is good for the rest of the day and I don't have to worry about accidents.

Ok, thanks!
ANd that sounds like something I should try out, the schedule poop thing. It would certainly make clean up easier~ XD

CMJHBFantasy

Original Poster
Oh, but could it be diarrhea that causes his poop to be all liquid like sometimes? He doesn't show any symptoms that I can tell, though based on any study of animals, it is common for them to hide symptoms. It's not been so bad lately, it's been solid, with the white bit, but also with some runny liquid coming out too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur with M regarding water in the beardie tank ..... no need for it , and furthermore standing water will increase the relative humidity in the tank and this can lead to the beardie developing a RI (that's bad news).

If it's very hot weather, I give my beardies a drink from an eyedropper , one drop at a time on the snout, as the droplet is drawn by capillary action to the lips , they get a drink (this is how they drink in their natural range). Getting most their hydration needs from the insects, smaller reptiles and animals they catch, an from green leafy herbs and fruits when they find them.

The runny poos may be dietary .... what vegs and greens are you giving ?

some salad stuff is very high water content , ref to BeautifulDragons list for suitable foods, and he may be overhydrated.

CMJHBFantasy

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3v4s35e7 said:
I concur with M regarding water in the beardie tank ..... no need for it , and furthermore standing water will increase the relative humidity in the tank and this can lead to the beardie developing a RI (that's bad news).

If it's very hot weather, I give my beardies a drink from an eyedropper , one drop at a time on the snout, as the droplet is drawn by capillary action to the lips , they get a drink (this is how they drink in their natural range). Getting most their hydration needs from the insects, smaller reptiles and animals they catch, an from green leafy herbs and fruits when they find them.

some salad stuff is very high water content , ref to BeautifulDragons list for suitable foods, and he may be overhydrated.

I'm been giving him mustard greens. I've tried some kale, and collard greens, but he won't eat those.
He also gets dragon bites: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11955
Just a little bit everyday, like croutons on a salad.
I got a whole butternut squash that I plan on preparing for him, to see how he likes it, and to see how long it will last if I cook it up and keep it in the freezer. (I'd do it now, but I'm away from home)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CMJHBFantasy":2ezg0guu said:
kingofnobbys":2ezg0guu said:

I'm been giving him mustard greens. I've tried some kale, and collard greens, but he won't eat those.
He also gets dragon bites: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11955
I got a whole butternut squash that I plan on preparing for him, to see how he likes it, and to see how long it will last if I cook it up and keep it in the freezer. (I'd do it now, but I'm away from home)

Bites are the culprit .... no roughage and too high a water content. 92.5% moisture ....
1z383d2.gif

they are expensive water IMO and worthless junkfood mascerading as a REAL food , only suitable to use as a very rare treat (IMO mealworms would be a better treat than Bites)..

I'd be giving him live insects for his protein not highly processed rubbish food from a bottle of dubious nutritional value and of unknown content .... Lord only know what goes into them.

CMJHBFantasy

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":l6qasj6j said:
CMJHBFantasy":l6qasj6j said:
kingofnobbys":l6qasj6j said:

I think the bites are the culprit .... no roughage and too high a water content.

I'd be giving him live insects for his protein not highly processed rubbish food from a bottle of dubious nutritional value and of unknown content .... Lord only know what goes into them.

The nutrition in them is from various fruits in veggies, and I've been tapering him down to much lower amount a day, as they aren't meant to be used as the main meal.
He has had them for a while , though, and he would poop normally with the larger amount I used to give him...
Then again, I also had to stop giving him crickets for bit after I came back home until I could figure out how to manage them.
COuld be the combined water in the bites AND the crickets...
Still, I do see what you are saying.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CMJHBFantasy":2c7d27vi said:
kingofnobbys":2c7d27vi said:
CMJHBFantasy":2c7d27vi said:
kingofnobbys":2c7d27vi said:

I think the bites are the culprit .... no roughage and too high a water content.

The nutrition in them is from various fruits in veggies, and I've been tapering him down to much lower amount a day, as they aren't meant to be used as the main meal.
He has had them for a while , though, and he would poop normally with the larger amount I used to give him...
Then again, I also had to stop giving him crickets for bit after I came back home until I could figure out how to manage them.

Sorry, but with only 3% protein and 92.5% water .... they are TOTALLY WORTHLESS AS A FOOD, THIS IS NO NUTRITION IN THEM AT ALL.

CMJHBFantasy

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":rucrx45a said:
CMJHBFantasy":rucrx45a said:
CMJHBFantasy":rucrx45a said:

Sorry, but with only 3% protein and 92.5% water .... they are TOTALLY WORTHLESS AS A FOOD, THIS IS NO NUTRITION IN THEM AT ALL.

Ah, I did not realize that.
I have started giving him butternut squash (finally) in his greens, and he absolutely loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom