Beardie Tail Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gisie

Hi all,
I need help ASAP. I honestly peeled off part of the shedding from my beardie's tail. Then I went on to this website and it said I shouldn't have. I realized now it could cause him problems but I cannot afford to lose this beardie. I lost another one about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I soaked his tail in a warm water bath and he seems fine. I am just worried. He is only 8 weeks old. I know now to not help him shed unless he cannot.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hard to resist the temptation to peel off the shed.

I have been guilty of the same on occasion, usually only if it's stubborn and I never really force the old skin that should be coming off with the shed to come off. Usual problem areas are toes and fingers, tail and beard. My rule of thumb is if the lizard objects - stop doing it, as it is probably hurting.

Unlike snakes and skinks, who shed completely overnight, beardies do it piecemeal , and when young and growing rapidly, frequently, it can look like they've had a skin explosion in really impressive sheds with really young beardies, with bits of loose shed skin dangling off them in all directions (beardie bad skin days !!! LOL ... they can look very comical then).

If you go to the woods and pick up some nice sticks that you'll find laying about on the ground (ones with pointy bits and sharp / rough surfaces on them), and disperse them higgledy-piggledy in the enclosure, they will be a great help for your beardie in future sheds to scratch on, rub on, crawl over and under, hence helping it get it's own shed off and I think they really enjoy the scratching and rubbing too.

I've found a luke warm water soak (34oC) can help soften stubborn shed, and can help it come away.
For really stubborn shed I use a produce call HerpaShed, you spray it on and let it soak in. http://vetafarm.com.au/product/herpashed/

I'm sure your little beardie will be OK.

Gisie

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I only help him with his beard and nostrils cause he fights with getting it out. I appreciate the reassurance that he will be fine. I am letting him do his own shedding from now on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom