I need help with mouth rot !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
The primary need is to have him seen by a qualified vet who may want to administer a broad spectrum antibiotic and then do a culture if not responsive, rather than spending money on raw honey, betadine, silvasulfidine cream, maxi guard, etc that should only be used short term. His mouth looks swollen and I'm sure it is painful.

DragonMother

CooperDragon":1exw5grk said:
I agree that an experienced reptile vet is your best option. In the meantime, I suggest getting some MaxiGuard gel. Put that on a q-tip and rub it along his teeth and gums a few times per day. It's a topical mouth wash that may help fight bacterial infection along his gums. https://www.amazon.com/Maxiguard-Oral-Gel-4-oz/dp/B000FUOCOA
Thank you yes I use cheap listerine also but i will upgrade to the Maxi Guard gel.. this is someting you just have to kinda maintain once they have it, right?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's usually an infection that needs to be treated with an appropriate antibiotic. Once the infection is under control the decay can be stopped in some cases. It's really tough to say without a proper examination by an experienced vet and a culture to see what is causing the infection. It is probably quite painful though and can be life threatening without proper treatment.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look a bit painful for him. You can definitely get some betadine & dilute it down to where it looks like a weak tea solution. Dip a swab into the solution & clean his mouth & gum area out, daily. Then, use the Manuka honey or unpasteurized raw honey on it daily until you can get him to the vet. Obviously it would be best to have a vet culture it to determine the type of bacteria present.

Is he able to eat very much?

Please let us know how your dragon is doing & the progress.

Tracie

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Mouth rot is not just a quality of life thing to be "maintained." Generally speaking it is an infection that needs to be treated by a professional. It's possible that what you are seeing is something else not as serious (different infections, dental disease etc) but folks on the internet cannot diagnose this for you and thus cannot advice proper treatment.

Vet bills are a expensive but you may be able to apply for credit and a payment plan, among other options. Hopefully if it is not serious the treatment will be affordable.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
spikesandmarley, how did your beardie make out? Please give us an update when you can.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
[Administrator Note:
(edited for correction @9 PM PT 7/8/16; My original understanding of some facts was incorrect)

I just wanted to quickly add a side comment in relation to the posts that were edited and removed from this thread. The intent was to try and take out the semi-heated exchanges and criticism about a moderator's responsibilities that was not really helping the OP's issue.

Our intentional use of the ability to edit user posts is primarily to remove content in violation of our site policies which are mostly focused on trying to keep discussions positive and helpful (and to remove spam, of course).

No ill-intent existed with the edits and changes that were made, but it seems that some offense was taken. Unfortunately, I have not had much time lately to reply before it created a lot of emotional upset for several people. I will usually try to step in and clarify intentions and give "direction" to moderators if needed (usually isn't) when things get complicated. For my lack of being available, I apologize to all (including the moderators). Hopefully we can get back on target.

I also would like to remind people, the small group of moderators that we have here are volunteers with what they do. They've been on the site for many years, and try to help keep things going smoothly (keep spam down, smooth out tensions before things get too heated, move topics into the most appropriate forums when mis-placed, etc.). These days, I tend to be less active on the forums and more focused on keeping the back-end server stuff working. Anyway... I often hear we have one of the friendliest reptile forums on the Net (and I've seen what some of the less friendly ones look like). We may not be perfect, but I'm proud of what we all have built with this community. And I give a lot of credit for helping support the helpful and positive culture we have here to the moderators giving their time for a topic (beardies) and website they care about.

If anyone would like to discuss the issues further, please feel free to contact me in PM or email. Please don't detract from this topic's original intent any further.

Thanks,
-Alex
]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom