Can you settle an argument? Feeding times for babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are having a heated discussion with our teenager who in the spirit of all teenagers (knowing everything) insists that as long as his 9 week old beardie eats his quota of bugs before lights out it doesn't matter when he's fed.

This is brought on because teen doesn't get up until 1-2pm - we strongly feel beardie should be fed about an hour after lights on (which would be about 9.00am).

Teenager says we are being ridiculous to suggest a dragon needs breakfast.

Can anyone solve our row?!!

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Typically young dragons are fed multiple times a day. Their last feeding would need to be at least 3 hours before the lights go out to properly digest. An earlier feeding would be best to ensure dragon has enough time to digest.

Well, you are most definitely right on this argument. The baby beardies should be fed multiple times a day, especially in the morning, about a half-hour to an hour after lights come on. Also, it is important that you feed the dragon about an hour before lights go off at night, so they have time to digest. Make sure you're dusting the crickets, too. Also, I don't know if you have yet, but try introducing the beardie to veggies. There's multiple lists on this website stating which fruits and veggies they can have.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, young dragons need several feedings throughout the day to ensure he gets his nutrition. They may have trouble digesting with too large of feedings and can increase impaction risks, too.
As suggested they need minimum of two hours prior to bedtime after eating to digest.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Minimum of 2 live feeds (3 feeds is better) per day for hatchlings and very young juvenile beardies to about 3 months old, then on 2 live feeds per day til their growth tapers off.

For example Peppa and Toothless started off at 6 weeks old with 3 feeds per day : 9am, 2pm, 7pm , lights on 6am , off 9pm.
Now at 8 months old , feeds are 11am (very hungry by then) and 5pm. Same lighting schedule.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Motherdragon":iy8dby09 said:
We are having a heated discussion with our teenager who in the spirit of all teenagers (knowing everything) insists that as long as his 9 week old beardie eats his quota of bugs before lights out it doesn't matter when he's fed. <<< tell him to do his homework wrt bearded dragon care and husbandry, he's 100% WRONG !! I'd say completely clueless and bone lazy and not demonstrating sufficient maturity and responsibility to deserve such a wonderful pet who depends on it's carer for everything it needs to live.

This is brought on because teen doesn't get up until 1-2pm - we strongly feel beardie should be fed about an hour after lights on (which would be about 9.00am). <<< put the lights on a timer (on 6am , off 9pm) , and tell him to get his act together. If he can't be bothered someone else more deserving should take care of the bearded dragon.

Teenager says we are being ridiculous to suggest a dragon needs breakfast.

Can anyone solve our row?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom