I need help with mouth rot !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me , my old beardie is suffering from mouth rot and I don't know how to make his poor mouth heal I am so upset seeing him in so much discomfort !! any help would really be appreciated!!!!?

This is Rhaegal! I've been reading around some of the related topics, and it sounds like unpasteurized honey is good for preventing infections, but I've got nothing else... hopefully others will be able to help more.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is your dragon? Can you review your tank setup with us so we can be sure everything is all correct.
Unpasteurized or raw honey is very good so you could use that until seen by a vet if no improvement Do you know how his mouth got injured and do have any pictures?

Tracie

spikesandmarley

Original Poster
Hi! my bearded dragon is getting old , he is almost 8 years old and he's still going strong to be completely honest he gets his water and worms everyday, gets baths and poops regularly his cage set up is a big standard size lizard tank and we provide UV light for him and a cooler area as well, early in his life was affected by MBD but now has no sign of it only problem is the mouth rot in afraid ?
87502-4649639130.jpg

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sorry your lizard is sick. The mouth doesn't look good and your lizard should be seen by a qualified reptile vet. Mouth rot is somewhat of a generic term and can mimic other illnesses.

It is important that your lizard is treated by a medical professional to ensure that the infection has not and does not progress to the bone. It is harder to treat when it gets that far. Mouth rot can be serious and fatal and the reasons why, going from a localized issue to systematic infection leading to what we call sepsis (for lack of a better term) and death.

While honey is good for treating open wounds by inhibiting the growth of bacteria, it will do nothing if the infection had gone into the bone or bloodstream.

The home page of this site has care sheets. A diet of daily worms, especially fatty ones, and worms only is not appropriate. A lizard needs some crunch factor in their diet to help clean teeth. Worms are soft bodied and will not do that. You need to incorporate roaches and crickets and crunchy veggies. Improper husbandry contributes to illnesses and must be corrected to help the animal heal. Please review your set up and make adjustments if needed.

For the qualified herp vet, there's a site called herpvetconnection.com that'll list all the herp vets in your state so you can find the closest.
Good luck!

DragonMother

My 10 years old Beardie Sleestack has mouth rot, i found an over the counter low % dosage of Silvadine at CVS but its for external use only.. it
worked overnight not CURED but the black is going

spikesandmarley

Original Poster
DragonMother":2kgkv5zm said:
My 10 years old Beardie Sleestack has mouth rot, i found an over the counter low % dosage of Silvadine at CVS but its for external use only.. it
worked overnight not CURED but the black is going

!! Does it help him , I'm trying to avoid vet costs

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
spikesandmarley":2tdde6zw said:
How will I know if it's in the bloodstream??? I'm trying to avoid vet costs because we can't afford it rigt now??

Well you won't know it has become more serious until loss of appetite and weight loss occurs or if the mouth has become more swollen and iritated looking. By then the vet bill will be even higher than if your were to have taken him in before it progressed. Unfortunately reptiles hide their illnesses and decline a lot faster than dogs and cats once symptoms of illness appears.

Not the answer you were looking for, but if he tanks around a holiday weekend you will be hard pressed to find a vet open during the 4th weekend.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't advise using it internally for mouth rot as ingestion could be harmful. Instead, I suggest using the MaxiGuard gel I linked to in your other post. It's designed as an oral topical antiseptic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom