when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nice perk to have, sleeping till lunch! My wife used to live up in Brisbane and she has described the winter as being very damp and chilly and the source of heat was a wood stove rather than a central heating system.

This is what winter looked like where I grew up (Western New York)
Buffalo-1024x645.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update : Peppa and Toothless are 8 months old.

Peppa has gained 29.6g this week , she's now 330.9g (she's having another growth spurt).

Toothless has gained 11.3g this week , he's now 252.8g , still not as interested in his crickets (been handfeeding some to him this week, a bit more bonding time. He's also been showing lots of interest in getting down onto the floor, climbed down a couple of times, so I've started giving Toothless a bit of time to explore , he doesn't go very from me but seems to be enjoying it, tail antenna mode while colouring up brightly.

FYI at 8.25 months old Puff was 258g and Rex was 281g. So I think Peppa is shaping up to be a very big girl (not fat , just big).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":21nfrmbq said:
Nice perk to have, sleeping till lunch! My wife used to live up in Brisbane and she has described the winter as being very damp and chilly and the source of heat was a wood stove rather than a central heating system.

This is what winter looked like where I grew up (Western New York)
Buffalo-1024x645.jpg

A lassy from BrisVagus , bet she loved the place .... only capital city I've found nicer was Darwin, very nice climate in Brisbane , quite mild winters (amazing the difference being 780km (if you take the coast road) closer to the equator makes. Great fishing there abouts , nice hinterland , lots of places to see a very wide range of skinks, dragons, geckos, monitors, snakes , frogs .... and very nice city , not as cramped as Sydney .

Not so long ago , only 10 years or so when there was still good beach fishing in winter here, I'd think nothing of fishing the local beaches for big greenback tailor and the occasional big jewfish from about 5am til about 1 past sun-up , or from about 5pm til 9pm in winter (May thro Aug) if it wasn't windy or raining , I'd be in shorts ( the surf was always warm in than out and bare legs dry a lot faster than long pants which stay wet and get really cold on you) but have a wetweather gear over two fleecy lined hoodies so was rugged up from the waste up , I'd only knock off when I lost feeling in fingers or started shivering too much and only if I wasn't getting bites . OR I'd also often fish the local ocean rocks for groper, leatherjackets, drummer, luderick, bream and tailor , again in shorts for the same reason. I'd even fish at night time for jewfish off the breakwalls in winter. As I get older, I'm getting softer and lazier I fear.
Love my sleepins in winter (nicest place to be on cold morning is under the feather lined guilt , and my afternoon siestas in summer. Lot to be said for an afternoon siesta.

That front yard looks positive polar to me ..... brrrr .... not the kind of climate I'd like to even visit.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd only knock off when I lost feeling in fingers or started shivering too much
lol good call! Not worth losing fingers.

I really want to visit Darwin someday. Seems so far away but really an easy plane ride from anywhere else. Was tempting when I saw it up on the board at Adelaide airport. My Darwin is named after the city.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":35y8vsel said:
I'd only knock off when I lost feeling in fingers or started shivering too much
lol good call! Not worth losing fingers. <<<< never cold enough on here to cause frost-bite , hypothermia yes. Figured if my fingers were so cold they were numb , I wouldn't feel those nibbles transmitted along the monofilament line, bream bite really timidly, and would not catch as many fish , waste too much bait and it was starting to get to point were it wasn't emjoyable or worth the discomfort anymore. (Nice warm heated/a-cond in the Pajero 4x4 beckoned as did a nice warm home.

I really want to visit Darwin someday. Seems so far away but really an easy plane ride from anywhere else. Was tempting when I saw it up on the board at Adelaide airport. My Darwin is named after the city.

Lovely leafy streets , great markets, great fishing and in reach of 2 of Australia's best National Parks (Lincfield and Kakadoo in that order (even though Linchfield smaller).

If I can ever drag my wife away from her family , one day I want us to relocate to Darwin permanently to see the rest of our days out .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa had her first freerange time this afternoon while I was removing a humungous poo and strerilising her hide and heatslab (she's been saving it up for a 4 days and it was a whopper !) She loved it, trotted about tasting everything in sight (including my feet (and stinky socks). She actually made a d-line from my wife's chair to me when my wife placed her on the floor, looked up at me , "asking for permission ?" or "that I pick her up for a snuggle" , only when I patted her and told her it was OK did she switch to explorer mode, her tail assumed antenna mode , and she coloured up very brightly , and was obviously thouroughly enjoying herself.

Much more adventurous than Toothless has been in his first couple of short stints on the floor.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa and Toothless's worlds have gotten bigger, we are now giving them each about 10 mins per day to explore the living area floor , AND after being shy and staying very close to daddy on their first real floor times, they now seem to be really enjoying exploring the area all the new smells, tastes and strange things they can see (now from up close) , both love the kitchen (and have already mastered walking on the slippy surfaced (to them) lino , and today Toothless discovered the sunny window (unfortunately he's still small enough to slip behind the lounge so we couldn't let him stay at the window , Rex was already there anyway) .

My babies are growing up WAY TOO FAST ....

They definitely learn by observation and example (set by other lizards), Toothless had a lovely long snuggle under my old red t-shirt on me last night , Rex was already there and very relaxed and contented when Toothless joined her, he was a perfect angel , and actually fell asleep on me next to a dozy relaxed Rex who didn't seem to be bothered by his presence right next to her. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update

Been freezing, windy (gales), overcast here most the week, not seen the sun until yesterday and today, consequently Peppa and Toothless have been retiring early most days this week and not coming back out for their afternoon live feed, so I've opted not to disturb them for their 2nd live feed but have left their greens and salad for them to find if they come out later, so they have missed some second feeds this week.
They have been enjoying their short floor excursions , Toothless in particular , he doesn't want to go back into his big rearing tub and trots off away from us when it's time. He loved the kitchen in particular :) .

Last night I watched as Toothless tucked himself into bed under a bit of looser paper towel (under his 1/2 log hide ontop his heatslab, he literally grabbed the loose corner of the papertowel and pulled it over him like a blanket), maybe he's discovered paper is a great insulator and holds the heat under it, cleaver boy. This morning he was still under it and warm as toast.
This is something Lucky and Wriggles both did everynight , and George and Mildred used to do lots when smaller and younger and more subsceptable to the cold .... lizards are not stupid.

Peppa has gained only 5.1g this week, she's now 336.0g.
Toothless has gained only 7.4g this week, he's now 260.7g.
Both are 24x the original weights now.

bfhq2x.gif

1625ys3.gif

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
no poos from Peppa or Toothless for 6 days , gave them both a gentle tummy rub .... could not feel any lumps , so gave them both 0.3ml of olive oil using a 14G CROP NEEDLE into their mouths and a 1ml disposable syringe .... both liked the taste .... bit of luck they'll deliver in a day or two and the olive oil will help lubricate their plumbing.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Another tummy rub before their first insect feeds today, still no poos til then, still can't feel any hard lumps.

Good thing I put them straight back into their rearing tubs to bask right away after feeding them their morning rations of crickets + some buk choi greens (by hand inbetween crickets - sneeky daddy ;) , as Peppa immediately lifted her bottom and delivered her smelly load as soon as she was deposited onto her basking spot (on top of her 1/2 log fake log hide.... :) good girl. It was a whopper and yes I could see some olive oil mixed in with it.

I expect Toothless will also deposit his saved up load sometime this afternoon as both have been synchronising their bowel movements over the last couple of months , often both on the day.

Tummy rubs and olive did the trick .....

update : Toothless has delivered too ... :)

Bet they were both glad to get all that out .....

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update :

Peppa gained 13.3g this week (despite dozing through a few second meal times, I have a policy of not waking a lizard to feed it), she is now 349.3g , she's been retiring early every afternoon this week, basking for an hour (sometimes less) before heading into her hide , only coming back out near diner time to watch her fav TV show and to bask.

Toothless gained 20.2g this week (also napped through a few second meal times) , he is now 280.9g and has finally overtaken Peppa in the overall growth department. Toothless has been basking a lot more after his first insect meal than Peppa has.

Both are 8.5 months now.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1utu9ado said:
Wow, that's a ton for a week! They're both going to outgrow Darwin soon =)

Looks like another growth spurt from Toothless....

....he's become very much more happy to have nurses from me and now loves his snuggles - HE REALLY ADORES a nice tickle under the throat , colours up very brightly and holds his chin up high like a cat would for the same treatment, then when he's ready for me tickle the other side of the throat he reaches up with the appropriate hand pushed my tickle finger to where he wants it to go and moves his head's slant and reaches up with either his left or right hand and "grabs" my finger to push it to where he wants to show me.... just like Lucky and Wriggles used to.
Hand feeding him his crickets has done the trick, I think he has finally warmed to me. :) Most pleased.

Even better , he's figured out the handfeeding lurk , not accidentially nipped me on the tip of a finger or a thumb at all this week .... finally learning good manners .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa and Toothless are 9 months old today. :)

Peppa is now 367.6g , gained 10.0g this week.

Toothless is now 291.6g , gained 9.9g this week.

Both are now very much into snuggles , even Toothless has mellowed and become angelic.

Both are now getting a little freerange time on the floor in the evenings after their 2nd live insect feed, and love it, both particularly are fascinated by the kitchen and both have mastered the slick lino.

Very pleased with how they are coming on.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I think Peppa really really loves her daddy.... when my wife takes her off me to nurse her on the other end of the corner lounge ,while I'm nursing petting Toothless and / feeding him , and also when I'm not doing so, she will often turn around to look back at me , and soon she's crawling off my wife and heading my way .... as soon as she's back on me she settles and snuggles into me.

:)

Just like Wriggles and Puff used to. Rex regularly does the same thing.

Nice to be in demand. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom