Lighting for new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
I just purchased a 90 gallon glass tank for Smaug off Craigslist for $100. The ad was wrong in the measurements (stated 54 long), but it is a Zilla 90 gallon. It is 4'x24"x18". In his present 40 gallon breeder tank, I have a 24" Reptisun T8 mounted inside. The height of the two tanks is the same. Will this be ok in the new one or should I go with a longer one. I was even debating getting a longer T5 with hood to put on the top of the screen. I' m about ready to order new bulbs, so this is the time to change if I need to. Thanks for any advice. I want Smaug to stay healthy in his new tank.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the T8 is kept at the same distance (6-8'') it should be OK. If you're about to change anyway, I'd get the 22'' T5 fixture and light. That way you'll be providing UVB toward the higher end of the range at the basking spot and you can mount it on top of the tank without a problem.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Liam! Just wanted to make sure I had the right thinking about the lighting issue. I had really wanted the convenience of a front opening tank, but this came along. My husband was just starting to build one when I saw the ad. He thought it was a great deal, so I went and got it.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The people threw in some hides and branches too, so it was a really great deal. I see that Amazon sells Arcadia bulbs now. Might give them a try.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like the Arcadia T5 I have quite a lot. I got it the week I picked up Dundee and it's still producing great levels of UVB. Lightyourreptiles has them on sale at the moment.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
When you got Dundee, really? Glad it still is in use for Darwin. What fixture would you recommend? You have been such a help to me now and in the past, Liam. Thank you for always replying to my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom