several different issues with my bearded dragon please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off he is 15 months old, weighs 552 grams, and is 20 inchs long. His viv is a 75 gal with MVB 160 watt and a tube light for extra lighting. his basking area is 95 to 102 by temp gun. The floor is tile no sand ever. So here is whats been going on. First, about a 8 weeks ago he didnt go to the bathroom for 6 weeks, I finally got him to go from warm baths everyday, rubbing his stomach and giving him some baby food (prunes with olive oil). During the whole time he looked lazy and tired. he would hide and not bask at all. I had to pick him up and place him in his basking area. Then after he went to the bathroom, he ate some salad and a dubia roach. So now we are a week later. He is a little more active but not eating any bugs just some salad every other day if that. I changed the light out to give him better UVB a week ago, then he was very active the next day for 4 hours and then he hid for 8. When I pick him up he is active, heads up and alert. If hes out of cage he runs around and looks normal. But he hasnt pooped since then and im wondering could he still be blocked up? I dont know what else to do and Im thinking of taking him to the vet. But I cant find a herp vet in oakland county michigan thats good. Any advice would be helpful thank you in advanced. I also started him on liquid vitamins today too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a pic of him ? Sometimes they really can worry us when they seem to be stopped up, but this does happen with adults from time to time. The methods you used to get him to poo are the ones often recommended. But to get to why he's constipated, how do you hydrate him ? Try offering water with a spray bottle, eyedropper or syringe directly on his snout. You spray or drip, then stop, repeat until he drinks.You can also offer a bit of iceburg lettuce,squash and cucumber to his salad, but not too much of those. Applesauce is another natural " laxative", so give that a try along with a few drops of raw honey. A vet may give you something called Lactulose, it helps with constipation but you can really achieve the same results with the natural stuff so there's really no need for a vet. Once he becomes better hydrated he'll become more regular. Go easy on the vitamins, they only need them 1-2X a week in general.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which MVB light are you using, what brand is it?
It sounds like during that period of time he was brumating which many of them do at varying times of the year. Did he lose any weight at all? Usually when they brumate their weight remains relatively stable, too. What do you think could have constipated him?
I am glad you are using tile & not sand, it is so much cleaner for them. Do you have any pictures of your tank setup & your dragon we could see?
What brand of liquid vitamins did you start him on?
Does he have a black beard right now or not?

Tracie

bassmaster261

Original Poster
I do have pics of him but I don't know how to put them on here. I think what got him constipated was he ate a Dubia roach that was almost 2 inches. He has had some that were a inch in a half or so but Never that big. As far as the vitamins go I was gonna go twice a week. The MVB I'm using is by zoo med power sun. I started him on flukers liquid vitamin. You know I wondered if they could go into brumation at different times of the year. My apt is pretty cold from the ac and I wondered if that was doing it to him. As far as his weight before this he was pretty close to where he his now. No black beard either. He will look lazy in his cage like sleepy not moving. But if you pick him up he acts normal and if I take him out of his cage he runs around with his head up and alert. His eyes look good nothing coming out his nose. If you can tell me how to post pics I will be able. Thank you for all your help

bassmaster261

Original Poster
Thank you! I won't be able to get a pic of him till tomorrow. See like today he came down from his hammock/ basking rock after about 3 hours and then he came down ate some salad and went back in his cave. I just got home from work and he hasn't left. I'm going to give him salad and some bugs tomorrow before work and see what happens.

hey. i have a beardie myself and i would do anything for him. if it's worth it, you can drive to williamston in micigan and go to Cedar Creek vet clinic. it's for exotic animals and reptiles. I know it's kind of a long drive, but they're worth it. Cedar Creek is amazing. hope this helped! :lol:

bassmaster261

Original Poster
Omg thank you so much. I'm moving out to Webberville in 19 days so it won't be far. But I'm thinking he may need a check up or see what a professional thinks. Also how is their prices? Thank you so much!

well, they are on the more expensive side, but they're literally the only reptile vet around us for hours basically. i haven't been there in awhile, so i don't remember how pricey they exactly are, but you can look at google reviews. it might help. they're open monday - friday.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like he is doing well, with no black beard then.
How is he looking today?
He does fit brumation criteria, it is pretty common. They can get pretty lazy! You could just get a fecal on him to be sure he doesn't have worms or parasites.
As long as he is maintaining his weight, I think he will be fine. Keep us posted on him & if you do take him in to the vets.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom