Not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.

lv99abra

I have had reptar for a few weeks. He was about 2 or 3 months old when I got him from petsmart (that's the age they estimated ) he was doing fine foe a while then stopped eating a lot. He eats maybe 3 or 4 crickets or dubias a day. He's been like that for maybe two weeks? It started when he was shedding but then kept going long after. He was growing at about 2 or 3 grams a week. Got to 26 grams for 2 weeks. Then dropped to 24 grams for 2 weeks where he currently is at. I really dunno what to do. Neither does my vet. Any advice would be great.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? Also, brand and tye of UVB?

How often are you dusting with calcium and vitamins?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What is his current weight ?

Is he living in a tank by himself ?

What size bugs are you offering ?
AND what is your feeding (when and how many of what) and lighting schedule (time turned on/off ) ?

lv99abra

Original Poster
Tank Temps around 95 to 100. Crap thermometer atm. Already getting new ones in so Temps may be off. Reptisun 10.0 uvb. Dusting every 3 to 4 days. Current weight is 25g (he actually gained a gram since I last weighed him!!! ) he has been living in his own tank for about 2 weeks. Was in a tank with same age beardie for 2 or 3 weeks. Then started shedding stopped eating then never picked up appetite. Lost 2 grams in 2 weeks. Now gained a gram. Currently small dubias and occasionally one or two meal worms (I know ppl tend to say no meal worms but when I realized that he had already decided he likes them) he doesn't seem to care for crickets at all anymore. Past few weeks I put food in his food bowl and just let him eat. No acual feeding time. And lights on at 11am lights off at 11pm

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What type of thermometer do you have on order? Accurate temps are critical especially for a young beardie. For his age, you should be dusting with calcium 5 days a wk on one feeding a day and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk on one feeding a day. What brand of calcium and vitamins are you using?

Is the Rept-Sun bulb a fluorescent tube or a compact swirly bulb? What is the distance to him when he is on his log or rock?Are you using a bright white baskin bulb along side it? When he is in his tank, where does he spend most of his time?

How often is he pooping? Does it look normal, not runny or very smelly? Would be a good idea to have a fecal checked for parasites to rule that out.

Would NOT feed him anymore mealworms as they have no nutritional value and are an impaction risk due to their hard chitin shell. Small silkworms or phoenix worms would be good to feed along with the small dubia. What greens/veggies are you feeding?

What substrate is on the bottom of his tank? Can you post some pics of him in the tank so we can see how it is set up?

lv99abra

Original Poster
Digital thermometer with the metal stick end someone had previously recommended. Calcium I got from petsmart. Can't remember brand. And vitamins same thing. I feed the vitamins to the roaches and crickets. The bulb is a tube. Spending a lot of time basking or glass surfing. Collard greens for veggies. Only thing he will touch veggie wise. Substrate is just repti carpet. Was paper towel for a little while. I'll send a pic wheb I get home from work

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
At his age , at least two live insect feeds PER DAY are needed.
Gut load the insects with high Ca greens, carrot etc , I use dry RepCal adult beardie pellets to feed and gut load the crickets and supers.

lv99abra

Original Poster
No she didn't test. She is confused cause he is still active and looks healthy and everything. But he seems to be doing better. My other beardy is growing just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom