Taking Beardies Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, the weather is here to take Pippin outside!

My beardie is about 6 months old and around 18 inches long, and it's finally summer, so I can take him outside, and I'm super excited! I took him out a couple times already- he was freaked out at first (didn't really understand the concept of wind at first), but he got used to it and turned some amazing colors, and started basking just like he would in his tank.
However, I live in California, and I saw on the forecast for Friday; the temperature going above 100. I would not let him on the concrete on this kind of temperature, but would it still be okay if he was on my hands or in the grass? Or is it too hot?

Thanks so much, and if someone has some good harnesses that they know of, I would love to hear it- I bought one, but it caught on Pippin's scales and he could easily climb out.

Thank you sosososo much!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In the grass would be O.K, but limit the time and make sure you're with him the whole time and set up an umbrella or something for shade if need be....or just take him back in if it looks like he's too hot. But the grass should be reasonably cool ....holding him would cause him to get too hot because of the body temp.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The little ones like your's startle/frighten easily , best to have a portable enclosure like a rabbit/chicken hutch set up , these are ideal http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rabbit-Hutch-Chicken-Coop-Guinea-Pig-Ferret-Cage-Hen-Chook-House-Run-Triangle-/390846772923 , and stay with him the entire time.

The beauty of these is he can't get a fright and head for parts unknown at warp 10 , he can't be attacked easily by cats or other animals.

The other option is a beardie harness and leash so if it makes a dash for it he can't get too far.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
definitely watch him around the perimeter of the yard. those claws are super sharp and designed to give him excellent climbing abilities. i was surprised at how easily Fred scaled a brick wall, even though his claws are filed down. just make sure to keep an eye on him and you'll be ok. having that shade available will be the best thing for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom