How to clean terrarium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
I have a really big Terrarium for my bearded dragon it's almost 55" long and 25" high. I am wondering how do u guys recommend I clean it out. I have a yoga mat In it as his substrate and I put that in the wash and then dry it in the dryer on sanitize with steam. I just not sure what I can use for in the tank. In the past I just whip it done with water. I can not move it and bring it outside as I can't lift it lol I have uploaded a pic empty and one with him in it
Thanks guys.
Crystal

82228-5472192243.jpg
82228-7572705513.jpg

Derz13

Hello!

I use a 2% Chlorhexidine solution in a spray bottle. Just spray down the enclosure and wipe well. There is no need to rinse. I would recommend making sure that all solution is wiped up although they say that even if they lick some it will not hurt them! That is what I have always used for my enclosures and also what the veterinary hospital I worked at used.

There is also another vet-quality disinfectant that many people swear by although I have never used it myself. It is called F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant. Do research on your own to decide which product would be best for you and your beardie!

:)

SDragons

Juvie Member
I wipe down with a mixture of vinegar/ water for quick jobs. Then repeat several times with water.

But for my big cleans I pull everything out and use my steam cleaner on the tank, rocks, tiles, and cork basking "log" etc. With the cork, make sure that it doesn't get too wet. The steam cleaner it the easiest way to deep clean without chemicals that I have found.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
I second the suggestion for 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate. You can often find gallon concentrate for about $20-30 and it dilutes to 2 ounces per gallon of water for a general purpose disinfectant. Its also used as a wound wash, which is why its so safe. The only issue I have with Chlorhexidine is it does not kill coccidia and certain other parasites.

A product that I've found locally that works very well is Simple Green D Pro 3, its available at Home Depot for about $20 per gallon, which makes 64 gallons of disinfectant. It's a concentrate disinfectant solution based on quaternary ammonium compounds (Quats) and is more effective then Chlorhexidine or even a 10% bleach solution, with minimal fumes. Quats are very safe and have replaced bleach in the food service industry as disinfectants for dinner wear, and in certain dilutions can be used as wound washes and are used as preservatives in eye drops.

D Pro 3 is not intended as a wound cleanser, but makes a very good cleaner and disinfectant when diluted properly. 2 ounces per gallon of water is all that is needed. I have used it to disinfect my bearded dragon enclosures for years, and typically pre-clean feces and debris with a paper towel, then take a clean paper towel and saturate it in a diluted solution of Pro 3, apply to area to be cleansed and allow several minutes of contact time. I then take a paper towel soaked in water and go over the area as a rinse. Then use a dry paper towel as a final wipe down. If done this way there are no residual fumes and it is safe to immediately place the animal back in the enclosure.

Hope that helps

Dakotahanna

Original Poster
I will show hubby this and get him to go get me some. I will also get him to do the mixture because I don't want to get it wrong lol Thanks so much guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom