Discolored spot on head??

Status
Not open for further replies.

peapod

Noticed this spot a few weeks back, it was much paler and I didn't think much of it as I figured it was just normal discoloration from shedding. He has been shedding around his head and face, but now that he's shed completely the spot is brighter, a sort of light grey with bright orange around it. Definitely not a marking he had as a baby. Is this normal or should I be concerned? I have a removable/washable substrate and typically keep his terrarium quite clean, but I'm still worried it's some sort of fungus or infection. His behavior has been normal, he's energetic, consistently hungry, and has regular bowel movements that vary a little in color (based on what veggies he's been eating, as far as I can tell). He doesn't appear to be sensitive in that area but I'm getting anxious about it. Any/all help is appreciated!
87152-1442838074.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....can you post a pic of his set up showing the positioning of the lights ? That looks like a possible burn [ they usually turn white ] Can he get close to his heat lamp ?

peapod

Original Poster
I'm trying to add images but can only figure out how to attach the initial image I posted... I'm not very familiar with online forums. If someone can talk me through adding photos I'd be happy to post pictures of the terrarium, but in the meantime here are some further details:

it's a 60 gallon tank with a washable eco carpet substrate. There's a variety of wooden furniture as well as a climbable back wall. My beardie is about 14/15 inches nose to tail tip and the temperature gradients in the terrarium range from 80 or so degrees in the shadier corners to 120 degrees in the warmest area (directly under the heat lamp) and 107 in the spot where he normally basks. The heat lamp itself is approx. 8 inches from the basking log which at its highest point sits a little lower than halfway up the height of the terrarium. He typically stays in the middle of that log (in the 107 degree area) but he has on occasion sat up against the back wall with his hind legs on the log and his nose pointing toward the heat lamp. That's usually a position he sleeps in though so the light isn't typically on at that time. The spot on his head has been changing size and color the past couple days, sometimes looking small and nondescript and sometimes looking more like the original photo, bright gray surrounded by bright orange. He hasn't been rubbing his head on anything as far as I can tell, and his behavior is still normal/he doesn't mind me touching the discolored area. The burn seems possible but I've been watching him carefully all day and have witnessed just in the last 6 hours a variation in size and color that doesn't appear to correlate to his position in the tank.

I've sent a picture to the breeder as well and he doesn't think it's cause for immediate concern, but second/third/fourth opinions are still appreciated. Thank so much!

peapod

Original Poster
aha! thank you. I'm uploading a "before" and "after" of the enclosure (plus an extra picture of my little guy because he's just so darn cute)... in the past my house has always run very cool, and likewise his terrarium temps rarely hit above 110 in the hot spot. The past few weeks have been hotter than most of last summer was though, which means terrarium temps have also risen. I feel like such a bad momma for not thinking to change his log setup when the weather got warmer! Will definitely be sure to keep a sharper eye on temps going forward.
87152-2348055281.jpg
87152-449502427.jpg
87152-5180760999.jpg

Thanks so much for the help! Any advice for burn treatment? As far as I can tell he's not at all bothered by it, but of course chime in if there's anything I should do or look out for.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! And yes he is very cute, with or without a little blemish there ! :) You are certainly not a bad beardie mom, he has a great looking set up + looks to be in great health....beardies are very tough and something like that wouldn't affect him like it would a mammal or we as humans who would run for a cold wash cloth + ice. Try to get either a lower watt bulb or fix it so the bulb is up a bit higher. You can put some raw honey on his spot [ unpasteurized, like from a health store or beekeeper , it's good for any wound ] It's a natural antimicrobial. Just a wee dab will be good, but then be sure there are no loose crickets in the tank to " bug" him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom