Help! My beardies back is broken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazedbanana

My beardie was attacked by my cat. It was totally out of the blue and she's never done this before. He has two small wounds but his back is visably broken. He is defecating but I can't get him to eat or drink. I learned thru a different forum that it's possible he could survive this. It said to get sirenges to feed and water with. I'm absolutely devastated. He's in a ten gallon tank with a basking lamp and UV lamp. He's snuggled on towels. He is moving around and active. I need advice about how to help him. Should I see what happens since he is alert and active? A beardie owner friend told me the vet will tell me there's nothing they can do but to keep him comfortable.
Thanks
A very sad beardie mama

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Sorry to hear that but you need to take him to the vet. If it is broken and he is suffering and will get worse then the kindest thing may be to let him go.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
How can he be moving around and active with a broken back? How did you determine his back was broken without an xray?

Cats can deliver all sorts of nasties by their bites. You really need to get to a vet to see what injuries your dragon has sustained and to see if the dragon needs antibiotics to fight off infection from the cat's bite or scratch, whichever caused the puncture wounds.

Seriously, find a vet. I hope everything turns out okay but it would be in the best interest of your dragon to get professional medical help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, keep him comfortable overnight but do try to get him to a vet. Cat bites are notorious for getting infected. If he broke his back he wouldn't be able to move at all. Do you have pictures of him we could see?
Have you secured the area to be sure your cat cannot get in?

Tracie

blazedbanana

Original Poster
About an hour after I posted this my husband agreed that we should get him to the vet. Yes he did in fact have a broken back. It only affected his back legs and tail. He was still able to use his front legs and lift his head up. His injures internally were too extensive and we made the decision to let him go. It was extremely difficult. But I think we made the best desicion. I couldn't bare to see him suffer any longer. Thank you so much for the replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that you had to put your baby down. :cry: If the internal injuries were that extensive then he would have suffered. I am sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom