Interesting read about hydration and water for bd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Thank you for posting this factual article. The tests performed by Dr. Sherbrooke show that no water is taken in via the cloaca. It's also worth noting that the majority of respiratory infections posted in these forums are with dragons that are bathed, and as mentioned it can also contribute to ear infections.The only point I would slightly debate is that they will drink more off the dew on plants + other objects [ and thus get a decent amount of hydration ] other than acquiring it mostly from food. When you have a very hot daytime temp., then the very cool night temp. there is generally dew formed in the a.m. that the animals drink from. So many beardies in captivity WILL drink regularly from a spray bottle , esp. babies. Every clutch of babies that I've raised [ 1,000's of babies ] drank every single day as hatchlings up until the 3-4 month mark. Then they do so less frequently. As adults, almost all of my dragons drink about once a week from a spray bottle and I usually put a shallow plastic lid under their head so they instinctively lower their heads for a drink. But this is one of the best articles I've seen on this subject.

Ed707

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I agree with king, admins should sticky this so it doesn't get lost in the archives. Maybe in the health section I was going to post it there but figured that's more for parasites and other extreme health issues. Good idea to let everyone know about bathing as I'm sure alot of people over bathe there dragons. Best way for more people to get exposure to this article is to sticky it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom