8 yr old Beardie fading away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susiespark

Hi, really hoping someone here can help please. Our lil lady Slobalina is in trouble. She's an 8 year old Pogona Vitticeps who's usually healthy

She likes her heat lamp but also being handled, going for walks and watching out the windows when it's warm enough.
She normally ate 12 to 14 large crickets x 3 a week, fruit and vegetables - spinach, pear, strawberry etc with occasional locusts for variety.
Supplements - Nutrobal

Watering - she drinks from a mini fountain, changed and cleaned frequently and is misted every couple of days
Her faeces seems normal, just much less
Habitat - upgraded a year ago to Vivexotic, all elements treated and sterilised as appropriate. Internal dimensions 1.52m tall x 1.1m wide glass front cabinet set up over 5 levels. The bottom level is 50cm from floor. Top basking temperature is 95- 105 she moves between here and the next level down where the temp is 75 and humidity 50 as is level 3, with Levels 4 (drinking platform) and 5 slightly cooler. Night temperature is between 70 and 80. Substrate is washable matting. She spends most of her time on branches and wooden platforms only on the mat when in brumation or before she poops - usually in the bath - she likes to swim.
Lighting 13 hours timer with Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp plus
Extra UVB 75W
Her viv is in the study with frequent interaction throughout the day.
Location: Southern Ireland closest beardie vet is approximately 210 km away and can't afford the cost.

She's been eating less and less for about three months and has lost weight. She completely refuses crickets now which she used to devour. When she started to refuse crickets we switched to large mealworms but she's gone off those too and won't eat any fruit or veg whatsoever which she always enjoyed. This past week she has eaten just one locust and one mealworm. Have tried baby food but she just takes about a quarter teaspoon.
She was drinking water ok but won't now. She went almost completely black yesterday, and her Beard was still black this morning but has almost returned to normal now. Around her eyes went very orange - is usually a lovely yellow shade.

I thought as she's getting a bit older, she might be having a little extra brumation which she did in December and January as normal. On Saturday she seemed happy and was busy going up and down - she really seems to like climbing, drank water and was waving out the glass. Now she's objecting to being handled although she doesn't mind a little snuggle before trying to get away, and is opening and closing her eyes a lot which is most unusual. She's staying away from the basking area today. She won't eat anything. Her Beard has only ever been black when next doors dog comes in which is rarely. She's due to shed around August - She has always shed once a year.
Physically I can't see or feel anything amiss. She just seems to be failing.
Any helpful advice would be appreciated. What do people think about force feeding? I read somewhere else that it might help her.

Susiespark

Original Poster
Have uploaded images to Visitor Photos of her set up, two of her today and one from April 3rd to compare. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of her we could see?
The Solar Glo should be fine, is it a 100 or 160 watt? They usually put out a decent amount of UVB. How far away is it from her? What other UVB source are you using along with it, you had mentioned another 75 watt one?
Did you post pictures somewhere else?
Has she ever laid any infertile eggs before?
Do you know what her basking temperatures are?
Please review your supplementation schedule with us also, as well as frequency.
She could be low in calcium, or possibly have infertile eggs, but that is hard to know for sure.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom