Neurological disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, the TMS suspension is fine, it is a trimethsulfa drug for infections. Is he doing ok on it?
The metacam can be given short term for pain & discomfort. Are you giving fluids through the side of his mouth? Sometimes they can gag when taking fluids, so be sure you give through the side of the mouth to reduce the chances of aspiration.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Jay07

Original Poster
Drache613":qa3ugfah said:
Hello,

Ok, the TMS suspension is fine, it is a trimethsulfa drug for infections. Is he doing ok on it?
The metacam can be given short term for pain & discomfort. Are you giving fluids through the side of his mouth? Sometimes they can gag when taking fluids, so be sure you give through the side of the mouth to reduce the chances of aspiration.

Tracie
Good morning,

Bart had a good day yesterday. After warming up for a few hours he started circling in his viv. He actually climbed/rolled out of his viv (when well he climbs in and out all the time). Then he circled around on the living room floor for about 20 mins and then, by the grace of God, he stood up and started walking! It was a little slow and uncoordinated but some much better. He drinks spring water from a dropper. Thank you all for your support. I will continue with the updates.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news Bart seems to be feeling better & actually walked some too! :D
I hope his appetite gets better & he continues to improve daily for you also. Keep
us posted on him.

Tracie

Jay07

Original Poster
Hello,

Bart started getting better Monday, 5/30. Each day saw some improvement. Stronger walking, eating and pooping. We haven't done any baths but he is basking. He was doing well and by Saturday, 6/4, he was almost back to normal. On Sunday, 6/5, he woke up with the same symptoms, unable to lift head and dragging himself in circles. Today is Saturday, 6/11, and his condition is still the same. He wants nothing to do with light or heat or being handled. He becomes very upset and it takes him a while to calm down. We have some pillows set up like a cave in our living room and that is where is prefers to be. We met with the vet yesterday and are starting him on more Metacam and a 21 day course of Baytril. When he is in a dark, cool spot he is relaxed, his face is expressive and he recognizes me. As soon as he is handled he "shuts" down and then becomes agitated. When he is relaxed he looks like himself but he can't move well. The meds helped before so I hopping this course gets him through this episode for a longer period of time. Does anyone have experience with natural antibiotics and anti-inflamitory supplements? I would be concerned if my boy had to be on regular meds for an extended period of time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The only natural antibiotic I've used is manuka honey which is topical. Works great on wounds though. While you're offering those antibiotics I suggest also offering probiotics such as Acidophiliz+ or Bene-bac (for birds and reptiles). This will help replenish the good gut flora that will be wiped out by the meds and help him feel better. You'll also want to keep him well hydrated so I suggest offering drops of water on his nose a few times per day to ensure he's getting the water he needs.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your little Bart, I was hoping he was greatly improved!
How much longer does he have to be on the Baytril?
I wonder if he has gotten dehydrated? How do his eyes look are they sunken in any?
Did you look at his gums, are they pale or a healthy pink? He could possibly be anemic, sometimes medications really throw their iron levels off.

Tracie

Jay07

Original Poster
Drache613":2asy0ht9 said:
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your little Bart, I was hoping he was greatly improved!
How much longer does he have to be on the Baytril?
I wonder if he has gotten dehydrated? How do his eyes look are they sunken in any?
Did you look at his gums, are they pale or a healthy pink? He could possibly be anemic, sometimes medications really throw their iron levels off.

Tracie
He started the Baytril on Saturday, 6/11, and is supposed to stay on it for 21 days. His eyes and gums look good. We syringe feed water daily and he eats a couple of mouthfuls of greens about every other day. He is active and alert and less distressed. I think he may be getting use to his lack of mobility. We just have to work on trying to find a way to get him to tolerate light and heat. That really upsets him and wants no part of being handled either. I am ordering some probiotics as well to try and offset the antibiotic use. Thank you for you help and concern Tracie.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, poor thing! I hope the meds are not bothering him too much then, but at least his gums are nice & pink though. Hopefully he likes his greens too!
I am glad to hear he is less stressed & more active also. Has he not gained any mobility in his back legs yet?
I hope that he will enjoy being handled soon, he might decide that he likes it! LOL

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Jay07

Original Poster
Drache613":2q4i0gni said:
Hello,

Oh dear, poor thing! I hope the meds are not bothering him too much then, but at least his gums are nice & pink though. Hopefully he likes his greens too!
I am glad to hear he is less stressed & more active also. Has he not gained any mobility in his back legs yet?
I hope that he will enjoy being handled soon, he might decide that he likes it! LOL

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

He's been on the meds for 8 straight days with slight improvement. I have emailed the vet to find out if we should continue with one or both of the Baytril and Metacam. He seems a little less stressed and is crawling straight almost as much as he is circling. Yesterday he actually crawled to his greens and ate without me putting it in front of his face. He has always had use of the back legs. The problem is mainly lifting his head and body as he moves. He is handling the light and heat a little better. I put him in his viv or by the window for light and heat in small doses. Usually 10 or 15 minutes at a time. He has had a few good days in a row so I am hopeful that he will continue to improve. Thank you for your help and support Tracie.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great he seems to be doing a little better & is able to walk straighter, too.
I am glad he did finally eat some also, hopefully he will continue to get stronger. Maybe he will start being able to handle more heat & light soon also.
Keep trying with him, they do take time to recover. The meds seem to be doing some good for him, just keep him as hydrated as you can.
let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Jay07

Original Poster
Hello,

Bart has finished a two week course of Baytril and Metacam without much improvement. He seems a little less stressed and will crawl straight sometimes and not just circle. I set up a mercury vapor lamp with a stand in the living room as he can not get in and out of his viv by himself. He is tolerating light and heat regularly is small, 20 - 40 mins, doses. He'll eat a mouthful or two of greens about every other day. The vet prescribed emeraid omnivore critical care formula and I started to use that last Friday at about 1.5 ccs once or twice a day. I am concerned with that formula because it's loaded with sugar so I won't give it to him when he eats greens. He hasn't pooped in about a month but he hasn't moved or eaten much. I am not sure if it's caused by his condition. I gave him some applesauce with olive oil yesterday and a 20 min bath today without success. I will keep trying. The vets next suggestion is that we try a course of steroids. He said it can cause immune problems. Does anyone have experience with using them and potential side affects?

Thank you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry Bart is still having a hard time right now. Poor guy. Does he like the baby food or have you tried much of it?
He just isn't able to walk much or support himself as well?
I am glad he is tolerating heat & light regularly, too. At least he seems less stressed right now though. Have you tried hand feeding him any insects?
I really wonder if he did have a stroke since he is not improving very much. Keep working with him, maybe he will come around a little more. Let us know how he progresses.

Tracie

Jay07

Original Poster
Drache613":28sv4n5e said:
Hello,

I am sorry Bart is still having a hard time right now. Poor guy. Does he like the baby food or have you tried much of it?
He just isn't able to walk much or support himself as well?
I am glad he is tolerating heat & light regularly, too. At least he seems less stressed right now though. Have you tried hand feeding him any insects?
I really wonder if he did have a stroke since he is not improving very much. Keep working with him, maybe he will come around a little more. Let us know how he progresses.

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

I will try baby food. Do you think that it is better than the emeraid critical care? He ate a couple of phoenix worms yesterday but after one or two bites of anything he seems to zone out. I am not sure if chewing aggravates his condition. My main concern now is trying to get him to poop. Do you have an opinion about trying a course of steroids?

Thank you,
John

Jay07

Original Poster
Bart is now off all meds. He'll crawl around a little but can't walk. He'll have a couple of mouthfuls of greens or a few phoienix worms. He will not bask. The heat and light upset him. He gets baths daily but hasn't pooped in over a month. Today he had an attack where he got a black beard and deep inconsistent breathing. Looked like he had trouble breathing. Opened his mouth and had bubbles coming out his nose. The vet wants us to try steroids but I don't think he's strong enough. I'm so worried. Should I force him to bask even though it stresses him and what else can I do to get him to poop? A trip to the vet may be too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom