Is it stress?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet

So I bought a juvenile bearded dragon (about 3 months old)
And he closes his eyes almost everywhere! (When I pick him up,when he's in his tank,when I bathe him,etc.) I've had him for 11 days now and at first I thought it was stress but I'm not sure anymore. He eats fine most of the time and seems to be using the restroom regularly but he's not very active so I don't know whats wrong! I did just upgrade his tank to 40 gallons so that could definitely stress him out but he closed his eyes even before that so now I'm just beyond confused! I hope it's nothing too serious and that its just stress but I need to make sure.I use a 13 watt compact spiral uvb light and a 100w basking light. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Scarlet....can you post a pic of him and his enclosure ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
Then hit XIMG

Sometimes the coil and compact bulbs can hurt their eyes, esp. if they're too close. The long tube uvb's are a better choice, specifically the Reptisun 10.0 t5 and the Arcadia.

Scarlet

Original Poster
AHBD":3f3zfztq said:
Hi Scarlet....can you post a pic of him and his enclosure ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
Then hit XIMG

Sometimes the coil and compact bulbs can hurt their eyes, esp. if they're too close. The long tube uvb's are a better choice, specifically the Reptisun 10.0 t5 and the Arcadia.

Thank you! I plan on buying one tommorow and hopefully that will help a bit. I will send pictures as soon as possible...it's just the night time and I don't have any good photos of him. I sure hope that the tube uvb will help with the eyes but I'm still quite worried about his lack of "rambunctiousness".

Shenlong

I would certainly change out the coil, T5's are the way to go in my humble opinion :D Shenlong likes to close his eyes a lot too, never seen it as problem tho, he tends to do it when he's chilling in the hot or cold zones, when he's happy and contented, I'll hand feed him some bugs in the morning but just a couple to give him a boost, then again at dinner time but when he's eaten enough he will always close one eye towards me as a little sign to show he's ok and not needing anymore bugs waved at him :lol: I will leave about 8-10 little critters hopping around for him to hunt in the day and there's always the bio-crew and a few dubias hiding that get attacked on site! but he loves having something to hunt as and when the mood takes him :D I think having something else to do encourages more natural behaviour, he would have quite happily stuck with laying around in one of two spots all day waiting for food with both eyes closed if I let him bless. Always bright and alert tho with lots of good pupil movement when he was looking around and not just being a lazy growing baby so like I say, it never occurred to me that he was doing anything but normal eat rest eat rest eat sleep thing so all the energy was going into growing more than running around and burning off calories, and now he prefers to hunt a good part of his food on his own and still attacks the salad bowl and empties that daily too :mrgreen: still has lazy days tho, likes to camp in front off the waterfall and watch for the bugs to come drink when he's shedding and just snatches up an easy kill then goes back to chilling in the heat with an eye or 2 closed waiting for the next victim to happen along :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom