Buying a dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzabelle

Hello! I'm planning on buying a dimmer for my basking bulb. It's 75watts which creates a basking spot that is a little too hot, more on the 115 side, so my beardie will stay on the side of the actual basking spot. I really don't want to buy another bulb because the reptile branded ones cost upwards of 15 dollars and I literally cannot find any incandescent bulbs anywhere, just LED ones (which is great for the earth but not for reptile owners).
I have ZERO experience buying this, and even though it seems kind of arbitrary, I want to get something that will last for a long while.

Anyone got any good dimmers? I would really prefer if it was something I could buy online, but whatever is good.

THANKS SO MUCH!

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Did you mean a dimming thermostat, if so we use the habistat one, very good and easy to use and never had any issues

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
This is what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-TT-300NLH-WH-Credenza-Dimmer-White/dp/B0000DI241?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
I think I got it for cheaper, though. It really does not matter, honestly. Pretty much any of them will work. You only really need a sensitive one if you want to get really exact. You can get one at pretty much any department store, which is where I got my first one. I think it was cheaper than the one I linked, so it wouldn't hurt to check.

Ancalagon

Do you need special lights capable of dimming to go with a dimming fixture? I have a dimmer in my living room and we always buy bulbs that say 'dimming' on them. They're LED, unfortunately, which is still not good for reptile owners.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A dimmer as per electrical I know all about.

I personally use digital thermostats like these in all my enclosures .... they work a treat, are cheap and some of mine have given trouble free service in continuous use for over 7 years.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Digital-Thermostat-for-Reptile-Snake-Incubator-Heat-Lamp-220-240v/281985382320?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D3a45f4515ea14daeb867c703e4618e63%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D261811298441

Shenlong

I use a dimmer thermostat too, but if you have the time to keep an eye on temps you can find a plug-in dimmer that you literally just plug the light fitting in and control the level from the plug. they are normally a hell of a lot cheaper but like I say you do need to dim it manually, most of the time you can get it pretty much stable anyway, just lookout for freak weather occurrences and seasonal changes other than that it should only fluctuate the temps around the desired levels :D if the prices are the same across the pond, a dimmer stat here (habistat) is around £55-£60 and a dimmer plug will cost about £5-£10. you shouldn't need special lights for a dimming fixture but they work great with halogen spotlights, either repti-branded or not doesn't change the wattage :mrgreen: just NEVER EVER use a dimmer with an MVB or fluorescent tube :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom