Awkward Yoda

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissSawczuk

Hello! I'm a freshly baked owner to a beautiful female beardie, Yoda!

p0aeLv.jpg

Yoda has been with me and my boyfriend since the beginning of March. We bought her from a good local reptile shop. My boyfriend had a few dragons in his past who have lived for many years, so he knows what to do and how to deal with them. We decided to buy a female as well (female as far as we have been informed) because they're supposed to be tamer.

However, Yoda seems to have behaviour issues. When we first got her, we gave her space (roughly a week) to get used to her tank (which is big, fully equipped and she really loves it). We hand fed her from day one, and she took it very well. She's healthy, eats well (locust, some hoppers, lettuce and cress) and her poo's look healthy and regular. So no problem, right?

She has always been shy, but we thought it's just the fact she's so little and needs to get used to us. We try to handle her every day, however she does not want to be handled. Recently she started gaping and tried biting both of us. It's only when we try to take her out though, once she's out, she loves it. She's bright orange, and very rarely puffs her beard or turns dark. I try not to force her to come out, but she never chooses to climb onto me, yet she enjoys being out of the tank. There is also very little to none glass surfing. When she's in her tank, she watches us and is basking happily, she doesn't go into hiding. Sometimes after I or my OH handle her, and then try to put her back, she doesn't want to go in.

We tried many things like giving her a leaf when she's gaping at us or handling her before bed time when she's calm or not handling her before or after food but it's always the same result. We are very loving owners and really want her to enjoy our company, but she's making it very hard!

Does anyone have a clue how to help us?
Thanks!

6rOSpG.jpg

5FMkYN.jpg

Mordecai

Juvie Member
So I'm new as well only had Mordecai for almost 4mo. But I think just give Yoda time. Also love the picture of her peeking around her lettuce. Super cute.

I gave my Zirilan a few days to adjust, how old is Yoda? If she is older and she is doing this, that may mean she hasn't been handled a lot, so just let her get to know you. I put my hand in his food and hand fed him, he didn't mind at all, but he only likes his veggies out of his bowl, and won't eat it otherwise that I have seen :mrgreen: If your hand is in her food, then she can smell you in her cage and calm down, Zirilan was a bit shy at first, but he warmed up to me when I started to pet him on the tail(very lightly) and then on his back. He let me pick him up less then a week after I got him, and he has been nice to everyone since!
Make sure she doesn't see her reflection, Zirilan does it a lot and it stresses him out. Also make sure she is getting enough attention, talk to her all the time, this'll make her know your voice and calm down when you come near her. This has been my experience with my baby and it may not work for every beardie, but you could still give it a try!

Also, you said lettuce? Try to give her collard and mustard greens, lettuce isn't the best for them, I give my baby mustard greens right now, I am hoping to find some dandelion greens for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom