To much calcium powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my bearded dragon for about 4 months now. He is about 17 inches head to tail. Since I got him I have been feeding him crickets or dubia roaches twice a day every day. He can eat usually around 20-30 crickets per feeding. Each feeding I have generously been shaking the bugs up in rep cal calcium powder with d3. Up until yesterday I did not realize that you could give them to much of it. As far as I can tell there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with him, but I am worried I may have been giving him to much of the powder. Could anyone tell me if I have been giving my dragon to much powder, and if so let me know how much I should be giving him. I am not sure how old he is but he is 17 inches long if that helps. Thank you.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
Most people suggest using calcium 2 to 3 times a week or every other day as long as you don'tgive with both meals and maybe dust only half of the crickets in the one meal you should be ok however it is always best to consult a good vet who deals with reptiles every day

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A VERY YOUNG beardie needs lots of dietary calcium in order to grow properly, unlike an adult who only needs enough to counteract any Calcium loss/bone density loss with age.

What you are doing is fine.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Calcium on one meal a day is good for a 17" dragon which is not a baby and the bugs should be lightly coated rather than look like a powdered donut...too much calcium can cause constipation in some beardies, but to little calcium is far worse. It also matters what type of uvb bulb you use and whether the calcium is with or without D3. Strong uvb and too much D3 can cause health problems . I keep both types on hand and use the D3 less often depending on which bulb I'm using [ with a mercury vapor bulb or when I take my beardies outside for several hours for 3-4 days a week ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom