My Beardie Michael Angelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpaganem

Hey, my boyfriend and I just went through a very tough few days. We live in spring Texas and it flooded. We had to leave. They never shot the power so we decided to leave Michael Angelo in the apartment. It's a two floor, he is upstairs. We knew we wouldn't be home so we left some food. The amount he eats normally. He was active and normal. We drove by during the night to make sure the electricity was still on and it was. The next morning, we got home and he was gone. :( umm all the the food was trashed all over his tank which is like 50 or something gallons I'm not sure but he was in a corner not moving. He was bloated as if he was about to explode and his eyes were pinkish and were like sticking out of his eyelids a little. I really don't know what happened. He was always so active and we made sure we always gave him his calcium and food correctly. He wasn't stiff or cold but obviously only because when we got home his lights were on which we have active timer for so they can change themselves. Me and my boyfriend are completely heart broken I mean we loved him so much and hoped he would be with us for a long time. What could have happened? His skin was his normal color and everything but he was dead. We have literally lost everything during the flood even our little Michael Angelo. I don't understand what went wrong. We always made so sure he was well taken care of. Please answer. This was today May 29th. We got flooded yesterday morning but we didn't leave him until late afternoon. Please answer I've called every vet near me and they don't care for reptiles which is ridiculous. Thanks.

-Marylu

dezismom

Juvie Member
I am so sorry for your loss...:(

I cannot guess at what happened. I would have to have been there to see his position, age, body, set up, etc., to make an educated guess. But I know that you did your best, and it is a terrible heart break to lose one of our dear dear Beardies. I am so sorry, hon, I wish I could make it better...that flood was awful. RiP, Michael Angelo.

mpaganem

Original Poster
Thank you for your response anyway! Beardies are amazing and I'm so thankful I had this little guy:)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How horrible. :(

Was there any evidence the flood water reached the enclosure and entered it - causing him to drown ?

Maybe a snake got in and bit him ?

Impossible to say without an necropsy on him.

The practice here (Australia) when there are emergencies like that is to put the pet reptiles into a pillowcase and take them with you when you evacuate.

mpaganem

Original Poster
No, everything seemed normal. The water was only down stairs. It didn't seem right but I co u ldnr help what happened. We thought about taking him but we couldn't exactly take him without his enclosure and his was huge. We had to stay at a hotel so he would have gotten cold. We been thinking and came to the conclusion that it was probably too hot in his tank. We had to cover him overnight and we didn't get there until late like 2pm. I don't know seems like a lot of things could have been done differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom