pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

devyn123

so i was housing two of my younger beardies together and my breeder said they are both females so i didnt think much but i came home one day and they loooked to be mating ones beard was all black and fastly head bobbing and the other doing it slowly then black beard junped on her and they did their thing but the one i now sexed using that new flashlight way and ones a male ones a femal and they mated is the female foing to lay eggs now? even though shes like 4 months and fairly small? will this kill her help asap pls

dezismom

Juvie Member
There are others here who are much more knowlegable than I about breeding, but I understand it is best to wait until female is at least a year old for that. Do not think it would kill her, but it is better if she is completely mature, to reduce risk of any complications. I would definitely separate the two ASAP. Beardies should not be housed together after the hatchling stage, regardless of gender. Males fight each other violently, and dominate females, two females often have one who dominates the other, leading to poor nutrition,-the weaker one eats less, has less access to the best light/heat positions, and leads to overal stress, which makes them more prone to illness. Even if they appear to be getting along, owners have discovered that bulling takes place when they are not around, or at night. Since it is possible that your girl is now gravid, she should have a set up of her own that includes a good place to dig a hole for her clutch, like an egg box; if they cannot find an acceptible place, they can withhold the eggs and become eggbound, which is a dangerous, painful and sometimes fatal situation. There are threads here that specifically discuss the needs of a gravid female--time to read up, and take action! :)

Anyone else who has some breeding experience and has more/better advice for our worried friend?

devyn123

Original Poster
ya i wasent going ti breed them i was going to see if i could hoise them together from birth thats why i got what i thought were females because i know their more common to get along but now that its happend im going to seperate them and get her a little sand box thing because i dont like sand as flooring i use a squishy matt thing they love because its comfyer and easier to clean

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Pretty much everything Dezismom said in a nutshell. Hopefully this is a very big 4 month old and/or the mating was not successful. If the female is too small, the male can't always get the right placement to impregnate her. Can you post pics of her [ and him ? ] Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
Then hit XIMG

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No shaming, just suggesting...she is very small so be sure that he is set up in a different tank than her. The mating would almost certainly not have been successful but he can hurt her very badly at any time, plus he now wants to mate so you have to keep them separate, do so ASAP. Don't leave him alone with her at all....he can grab her to mate and cause serious injuries. Years ago I knew someone who's large male broke the females neck [ and she was adult size ] by dragging her + slamming her against the glass. The mating ritual can be pretty rough, but especially for an under sized dragon.

dezismom

Juvie Member
wow! sounds like there is not much difference between mating and fighting!?
Reminds me of two big Angelfish I had a long time ago, that started to "fight" violently--called the fish store in a panic, was sure they were going to kill each other. The poor young man was silent a moment after I described it, then he said "Umm, Ma'am? I don't exactly think they're Fighting....."
I said, "Then, what are...OHhhh!" boy was my face red...I think it was a bit awkward for the clerk, too! ???

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, beardies mating can be stressful for the female if she's not receptive or is too small. The male grabs her by the back row of spikes on he neck but sometimes will bite other areas, too.

I don't think I've ever seen fish mate, didn't know they harassed each other, too. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom