Tank size for a Baby Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I will be getting a baby beardie soon. I already have his entire enclosure set up with all of the necessities. I had a couple of questions.

1. I have heard some say that a large enclosure is too stressful for a baby dragon. Mine is a 40 gallon breeder. I wanted to get a tank that will last him forever unless he becomes larger than average in his adult stages. Is a 40 gallon breeder too big for a baby? Will this stress him out? Should I put up some kind of divider or something?

2. I have seen a lot of enclosures with background decals and designs. From my understanding, there are two benefits to using them:
a. He is less likely to scratch at the glass because he sees his reflection as another dragon and it stresses him out.
b. It looks natural and pretty.
Are there any other benefits to getting a background? Should I consider getting it? Should I also consider getting some that cover the sides as well?

Thank you in advanced for all responses:) Please be as thorough as possible in responses.

SDragons

Juvie Member
We put our guy in a 48x19x24 tank from the beginning. He has never has tank stress. For feeding we only drop 1 cricket in at a time

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I use 100L plastic tubs - converted to become rearing tubs for my baby and juvenile lizards (including beardies). https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-storage-solutions-100l-storage-tub_p2583395

Peppa and Toothless have been in one each since they were about 5 weeks old, they are now 7 months old.

I'll likely upgrade them each to a full sized (4 ft x 2 ft footprint) enclosure at the end of their 1st year.

No benefit to the lizard in having a background, it's just a great place for insects to hide.
So long as he has a nice private hide or cave, covering sides is not necessary, he'll probably like watching things in the room through the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom