Light Cycle Units??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derz13

Hey guys!

SO...I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and as I turned the light on, I quickly squeezed my eyes shut until they adjusted to the sudden coming of the bright light...Now..like any beardie mommy....all I could think about is how my Benjii feels everytime his lights go on in the morning!! That is AWFUL

So I went straight online to look for any kind of automatic light cycle type-thing. All I could find was the Exo-Terra light cycle unit and I haven't really heard the best of things about it.

I am thinking of maybe hooking a couple of different lights up to a timer, some dimmed for dawn and dusk to simulate natural light cycles...I am SURE this has been done before so PLEASE any input on how I can turn this middle-of-the-night thought into reality. Or if there is a post that I missed that explains how to go about doing that.

THAAAAAANKS GUYS :D

Ed707

Hatchling Member
What I've been recommended and what always do is have the halogen or basking light come on first then maybe a hour or 2 later have your uvb lights come on. Same for going off uvb lights off a hour or 2 before the basking lights turn off. What your trying to do is mimic the rising and setting of the sun. You can do this with simple 5$ timers bought at home depot

Derz13

Original Poster
Taterbug! such a cool product, thank you! But it is WAY out of my price range for now. Maybe another time!

Ed707,
That sounds good, but I am worried about the brightness of the basking bulb, I want a dimmer, less intense light to kick on before that one. I was thinking of putting an LED Rope light along the front of back of the enclosure to illuminate it just a little and then have his basking light come on then his uvb.

I have heard of many people putting LEDs in their enclosures, so as far as I know there are no complications with them?

Ed707

Hatchling Member
Compared to actual sunlight a halogen bulb with around 1500+ lumens, which is what you should be using, is rather dim when seen through your bearded dragons eyes. Even the strip flourescent, while it does make it brighter to you, and probably to your lizard, is still not even close to natural sunlight. They love bright light and I wouldn't worry to much about things being to bright in there. With a properly set up viv with at least 2 hides and plenty of shaded areas makes it really hard to over illuminate a bearded dragons enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom