Beardie Gurgling and in Distress

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl, sounds like she is impacted. Go ahead with a warm bath to hopefully help her poo. Get more water in her via syringe if you can.....mix it with squash and raw honey or veg. oil to help lubricate .

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, but most beardies will lick it up when they taste something they like. If not, you can pull her beard slightly until she opens her mouth and put it in from the side. You can also use a small pice of thin cardboard, like from a cereal box, about 3" X 3" and wedge her mouth open. You must be careful and see that she swallows.

saratxgibson

Original Poster
Well, while i think sheet likes the squash mixture, she clamps her mouth shut after every taste. We managed a 20 minute bath and about 30 minutes out in the sunshine. She tried to potty outside but nothing. She's tried again inside. We're getting nothing but white speckled water.

saratxgibson

Original Poster
I'm feeling like we might need to up her # of baths in a day. I know once we're on maintenence she'll need baths 2-4 times a week (please confirm?) But I'm wondering if we shouldn't do as many a day to get things moving. She's straining again as we speak. Poor lady turns white except her beard and then she just falls asleep with exhaustion afterwards.

Is more baths a good idea? Sorry to keep asking questions, but I'll promise to move out of ER once she makes a move towards seeming stable.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, sure but it's a delicate balance. She needs to also take in the natural laxatives like raw honey, applejuice or sauce, extra water + veg.oil to help soften and lubricate the poo so it can be expelled. The danger in straining if she can't soften her poo is that she'll prolapse her rectum [ the rectum comes out ] which in her condition would be almost certainly fatal. So keep trying to get those laxatives in her by the method I mentioned. Poor girl, and poor you. I feel for you both !

saratxgibson

Original Poster
We finally got some poo yesterday evening! Never thought i'D be so glad about such a thing. It was the size of an acorn and looked hard and grainy (am I seeing walnut shell?). I'm still concerned about more hard lumps in her tummy.

So, with this information, do we consider the impaction over or keep working like we have been with assisting to eat the squash mix and baths? She's 7 years old, so I don't know how often to expect her to go.

This morning she's willing to eat crickets on her own, but had only had a little salad. Should I limit anything she's willing to eat on her own or should I focus on getting the baby food and honey in her which would be by syringe since she's not licking it up on her own?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that she passed a bit of poo ! But yes, keep up the special formulas, there is def. walnut in her body + you want to get it all out. She's still impacted, but hopefully this is the beginning of her getting rid of it, she's still in the critical zone. Keep up the syringe feeding, extra hydration etc.

saratxgibson

Original Poster
So we just did a 20 minute bath. I didn't say this before but am starting to think it's important. We are doing baths in a 9x13 baking dish. I thought it who would be a good idea to dedicate a container for the purpose of her baths. Today, she tried to pull around in the water almost like she was swimming. I know you said to let her son if she wants, so should I move her to a bigger container for baths? I have heard that some people do use people bathtubs, but don't want to put her in there and let her get chemicals on her and make things worse. what's the cleaning process (both before and after) if I should use a bathtub?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, getting that walnut shell out can't be fun! At least she finally did pass some though. I think she definitely still has some in her though so continue with the soft foods & baths.
You can get a little bit deeper of a plastic bin to bathe her in so she can try to swim. It is exercise & should promote her system to move things along some.
I hope she is feeling better. Keep us posted on her.
Be sure she is getting enough calcium so she doesn't prolapse.

Tracie

saratxgibson

Original Poster
There seem to be many things that I need to juggle and I'm stressing bc she doesn't show any improvement overall.

I need a clear answer on her diet for time being. Does she only need the baby food with oil and honey? Or does she still need the crickets and salad? How much of what? I only got about 1 tsp of baby food mix into her today, but she gobbled 4 crickets (2 in the morning with salad and 2 at night).

I'm not good a reading into answers so please help me know my (exact) goals here.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In general it's best to not feed them much if they are blocked up. You really want her to pass the blockage, so the soft foods are what she needs now.

saratxgibson

Original Poster
Here's what we dose today. She wouldn't eat on her own so we did 2 tsp baby food squash, 1/4 tsp oil, 1/4 tsp honey, 1/4 tsp calcium/D3 powder, 1/4 tsp water. It took a while but she took it in by syringe over about 15 minutes. Anything else we need to add? How often should we do this?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Excellent ! Did she take it easily or did she struggle/clamp her mouth or look stressed ? Once a day is probably fine, but if she takes it easily maybe just a bit more toward the evening with more water,oil squash + honey. But a very warm bath some time today, after about 5-6 hours for the laxatives to work,then repeat tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom