Pine enclosure (sealing for safety?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerko

Hi there!

My grandpa graciously offered to build an enclosure for my beardie, but used pine wood. Is there a sealant I can use that is both safe for the dragon and would prevent fumes from escaping the wood? I'd hate to trash the beautiful enclosure :(

Wood is untreated pine, we cut it ourselves last year and it has been drying outside since.

Thanks in advance!

Cerko

Original Poster
Anyone have experience with this?

I've read that polyacrylic is good, but have read mixed reviews on using oil or water based... Unsure if I should go ahead and waterproof as well...

Draeju

I recently built my own enclosure out of untreated, cabinet-grade pine, myself. I'd think that the recommendation to avoid woods like cedar and pine are mostly in regards to bedding materials like wood chips/shavings which are far more aromatic (though i would avoid using cedar period). Regardless, I sealed and finished mine with water-based Minwax Polycrylic. It has virtually no odor and I was able to finish my enclosure right in my living room without issue. It dries and cures very quickly, as well. Once sealed, the pine will not release fumes/phenols into the enclosure. I have 20 yrs of cabinet-making experience.

Cerko

Original Poster
Draeju":1rct946r said:
I recently built my own enclosure out of untreated, cabinet-grade pine, myself. I'd think that the recommendation to avoid woods like cedar and pine are mostly in regards to bedding materials like wood chips/shavings which are far more aromatic (though i would avoid using cedar period). Regardless, I sealed and finished mine with water-based Minwax Polycrylic. It has virtually no odor and I was able to finish my enclosure right in my living room without issue. It dries and cures very quickly, as well. Once sealed, the pine will not release fumes/phenols into the enclosure. I have 20 yrs of cabinet-making experience.

Perfect, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom