convertion question

Status
Not open for further replies.

illuminis

Hatchling Member
So, I've been reading and trying to research sun vs uvb lighting. I found that 1hr of real sun is equal to approx 8-12 of uvb. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, if I bring her out do I not use the uvb for that day just her heat light?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
illuminis":162vrbql said:
So, I've been reading and trying to research sun vs uvb lighting. I found that 1hr of real sun is equal to approx 8-12 of uvb. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, if I bring her out do I not use the uvb for that day just her heat light?

Depends on the latitude and season .

see
uvradiation.jpg

The larger the latitude , the more spread out the UV from the sun is , max concentration of UV is when sun is directly overhead.

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=548&page=No%20%E2%80%93%2010%20minutes%20per%20day%20of%20sun-UVB%20is%20NOT%20enough&download=y might help.

Compare the mW/cm^2 flux of UVB from the sun (should be available from your local BoM, and the flux from your enclosure's UVB source in mW/cm^2 where the beardie sits to bask and you can work out how many hours under the artificial UVB source to get the same UVB dose in 30mins at a given hour of a day , use this http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page_id=622 and the flux given by the manufacturer of your UVB source at a given distance from the source.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
From good lamps, UV light is roughly equivalent to sunlight. Lower quality lamps may have lower quality UV that's less effective, however.

Lights do tend to be relatively weak so the strength is sometimes more comparable to shade, or a very overcast day. Looking at the UV Index is a little more easy to understand. Depending on how it's setup T8 reptisun 10.0 is around a UVI of 1.5-3; similar to a spring/summer morning, or an overcast day. One hour under the lights is the same as one hour in the sun on that sort of day.

The process in the skin that generates vitamin d3 is a bit similar to the one that results in sunburn. It takes longer on an overcast day to burn (but you still can) than it does on a very clear sunny day.

UV lights contribute a visual component for your dragons,Mao even if you have some real sun that day, I'd leave the lamp on. She can regulate her exposure if needed and the body won't make more D3 than it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom