Sleeping Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoTheDragon

I have A new shift at work and need to leave by 5:30am. I used to feed my dragon once in the morning and once around dinner time when I got home. My question is, can I play around with his sleep schedule? Can I wake him up at 4:30am so his ready to eat by 5:15ish. And put him to sleep around 19-20h? will it be bad for him if I wake him up that early and keep the lights on 14-15 hours? I will get home and feed him at around at 17-16h and I like to keep the lights on minimum 2h after his done eating. I always leave fresh greens and veggies for him all day. Taco is around 2 months old

Thanks !

anwyn

That sounds like an okay schedule.

Mine is on a later schedule to suit my "day" - so her lights are on at 10am and off at 10pm. That will extend gradually to another couple hours on for summer time. As long as yours is getting the right amount of daylight hours when those hours are shouldn't matter too much - unless you get a lot of daylight in the room where the viv is, which will wake up or keep up your dragon. But you could always cover the front with a blanket.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
anwyn":29tx11jl said:
That sounds like an okay schedule.

Mine is on a later schedule to suit my "day" - so her lights are on at 10am and off at 10pm. That will extend gradually to another couple hours on for summer time. As long as yours is getting the right amount of daylight hours when those hours are shouldn't matter too much - unless you get a lot of daylight in the room where the viv is, which will wake up or keep up your dragon. But you could always cover the front with a blanket.

A 12 hour day is way too short for a beardie , should be at least 15 hours ,this will reproduce more closely the daylight hours wild bearded dragons experience in their natural range in tropical central Australia in summer.
This will give then ample to bask and digest their food and metabolise their dietary calcium.
12 hour days is more like what wild beardies experience in late autumn / winter in their natural range.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TacoTheDragon":ncv1dr6q said:
I have A new shift at work and need to leave by 5:30am. I used to feed my dragon once in the morning and once around dinner time when I got home. My question is, can I play around with his sleep schedule? Can I wake him up at 4:30am so his ready to eat by 5:15ish. And put him to sleep around 19-20h? will it be bad for him if I wake him up that early and keep the lights on 14-15 hours? I will get home and feed him at around at 17-16h and I like to keep the lights on minimum 2h after his done eating. I always leave fresh greens and veggies for him all day. Taco is around 2 months old

Thanks !

All mine are on 15 hours days , lights are on a timer .

TacoTheDragon

Original Poster
Alright thank you guys. I Will leave the lights on From 4:30am to around 20:30-21H giving him around 16 hours of light. It's pretty much the same schedule as the sunrise/sunset here in Canada right now.

anwyn

Australia gets an average of 14 hours daylight in summer. (Though in line with Hobart they do get 15) And winter daylight averages are 9-10 hours.

12 hours for a between-season would be in tune with their natural light amounts in the wild.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
anwyn":w4adfay9 said:
Australia gets an average of 14 hours daylight in summer. (Though in line with Hobart they do get 15) And winter daylight averages are 9-10 hours.

12 hours for a between-season would be in tune with their natural light amounts in the wild.

ADD the brightly lit pre sunrise and post sunset periods , 30 - 45min in summer each end of the day. .... ===> 15 hour days in summer at Alice Springs NT.

anwyn

cool. So still 12-13 mid season for basking/UV would be appropriate. It's not summer anywhere right now. And even in summer it's not 16 hours of hot basking + UV. yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom