SUBSTRATE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone!

I have a 10 year old beardie and use sand for him primarily. I just got a new little guy (9" or so) and also added sand to his cage. Ideally It will be great for cleaning purposes (and trips to the store) to buy in bulk for both kids. I am okay to use sand for the little guy right?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I prefer solid substrate because it's easier to keep sanitary. The sand also poses an impaction risk for a little guy. I suggest using something like non adhesive shelf liner so it's easy to sanitize or replace. Ceramic or slate tile would also work well.

Meggaloo87

Original Poster
I have been seeing the idea to use tile - is this something I just pick up at the local hard ware store? Isn't that too "hard" for them though? Mine hops around A LOT. He is a very active little bugger.

Thanks for your help. It's been a decade since I did all of this with my old girl, so I feel like a new mom all over again!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah I have big ceramic tiles I picked up at Lowes and had them cut to size. If they are too tough you can put some fleece down over it to provide a softer surface. I have a fleece blanket over half of mine.

Meggaloo87

Original Poster
Actually my "sand" is ground walnut shell bedding - that's different than calci-sand, right?

It says not for lizards under 6" and he is bigger.

Not that a company would state something just to make a sale. Let me know!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The walnut shell can be worse for impaction because the edges are tough and jagged. I'd avoid using it if there is a risk of ingestion. I'd imagine it would pose the same risk as sand for harboring bacteria if it absorbs liquids. I like using a surface that I can just spray down with some F10SC or bake in the oven to disinfect.

Meggaloo87

Original Poster
Great idea!

Sorry to be bouncing so many questions. But how do you bake items safely to avoid spreading any germs in your oven? I would guess the high temp would kill germs - but still!

Do you have a special pan? I've always been a super germ freak with cleaning items and how to safely handle BD items.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Meggaloo87":162olnqg said:
Actually my "sand" is ground walnut shell bedding - that's different than calci-sand, right?

It says not for lizards under 6" and he is bigger.

Not that a company would state something just to make a sale. Let me know!!

Get rid of it immediately .... a friend of mine lost her little hatchling to impaction (had to go under surgery to try to clear the blockage because she used a similar bedding as you mention).

A lot of Australian beardie breeders (the vocal ones that is) advocate using dried play sand as their bedding for all their dragons including the youngest hatchlings. Claim never to have an issue using it - I don't believe them.
Personally, for hatchlings and young beardies I wouldn't use sand of any description for a young beardie - contrary to popular believe the natural habitat of central bearded dragons is not entirely a sandy desert (like the Sahara), but weather ancient clay in the most part.

I use paper towelling for my hatchlings and juvenile beardies, my adult beardie is on loose ceramic rock textured tiles and paper towels .... is a much more hygienic an safe bedding.

I sterilise using F10
http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/F10D#.V0fHvblJmw0
simply remove poo or food residue , wipe clean with a paper towel or take outside and give a blast under the hose , dry , spray on dilute F10 (1part in 140parts water), let air dry (at least 30minutes) no more germs or spores.
Is perfect for sterilising floor surfaces and furniture when a lizard (or other pet has an toilet accident).

A small bottle of F10 concentrate goes a very long way, I'm into my 2nd bottle of concentrate (been using it for 8 years).

Meggaloo87

Original Poster
@kings

Oh no! So sad. I will be hitting up Walmart tomorrow to get the foam liner. I'll change it out tomorrow!

I'm guess this style isn't good for sdults either. Hmmmm I may want to switch up my old lady too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Meggaloo87":8gc3cpmv said:
@kings

Oh no! So sad. I will be hitting up Walmart tomorrow to get the foam liner. I'll change it out tomorrow!

I'm guess this style isn't good for sdults either. Hmmmm I may want to switch up my old lady too.

She was inconsolable after she lost her little beardie .... blamed herself .... but in reality it was the fault of the pet shop's staff who told her it was perfect for hatchling and young bearded dragons. I told her she should get rid of it when she told me she was using it but by then it was too late as her beardie was already impacted.
To add insult to injury she was out of pocket for over $1000 for the surgery and had no surviving pet beardie to show for the expense afterwards.

I prefer a hard surface - helps with grinding down the nails (on adults).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I bake tile and wood items. I spot clean with vinegar/water and rinse clean so no solid bits are left then put them in the oven at 250 for about 45 min. That's hot and long enough to kill any parasites on these items. I also have a steam cleaner and F10SC as weapons for disinfecting.

Meggaloo87

Original Poster
After doing the 50/50 Vinegar Water mix - how long until you can put it back in the their cage. I have always been afraid the smell would irritate them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The vinegar mix isnt much of an issue. Its good to let it sit to help break up solid bits and make it easier to wipe up. Once the surfaces are clear I disinfect. Once everything is dry it can go right back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom