A few topics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! In my previous post I mentioned my rescue beardie and how his enclosure wasn't up to par when I got him. It was too small and not clean, feces everywhere even on his logs. He was on coconut subtrate. I did clean the feces out right away but I've been working on getting everything redone and here it is

CjWIrVvVEAArygj.jpg

There's more to be done of course but I'm proud of it right now and he seems happier! My only concern is he's not sleeping in his hide. He never really did but I figured it was due to the subrate. I bought him a hammock and he prefers to sleep on that or on top of his hide. All his temperatures are perfect. My boyfriend said it's probably because he likes climbing and he's used to us. He really loves his hammock too! I wouldn't be surprised if it was the climbing thing because when I put him on my lap while im sitting he'll climb up to my shoulder.

My other question is me wondering if it's normal for him to be a heavy sleeper. When I don't work late, I take him out and lay him on my stomach with a blanket over us but not covering his head (also sometimes he crawls up to my neck) and when I put him back in his viv after he's asleep he doesn't even wake up while I pick him up or put him down! It's so weird!

Here's some pictures for no reason other than me being a proud mom ?
CjbZ-_xUkAAzjw0.jpg

CjP53GwUkAAFmaZ.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so glad you got him and have switched out that awful coco fibre substrate. No wonder he's so much happier. The only thing I'd do is turn off the red light. They don't sleep well unless they're in the dark. So if your room where he is, doesn't go under 65F at night, you're fine with no light. If it goes under that you would want to use a ceramic heat emitter, as it gives off heat without light.

I love the tank as it is, and there's time to get a bigger one. My adults are all in 40 gallon breeder tanks (or critter tanks) but they get lots of outside time. 75 gallon for an adult is better but 40 gal is ok, too.

leneabean

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":13rr3frx said:
I'm so glad you got him and have switched out that awful coco fibre substrate. No wonder he's so much happier. The only thing I'd do is turn off the red light. They don't sleep well unless they're in the dark. So if your room where he is, doesn't go under 65F at night, you're fine with no light. If it goes under that you would want to use a ceramic heat emitter, as it gives off heat without light.

I love the tank as it is, and there's time to get a bigger one. My adults are all in 40 gallon breeder tanks (or critter tanks) but they get lots of outside time. 75 gallon for an adult is better but 40 gal is ok, too.

Red light is off we just used it that night to warm him up because he was a lil chilly from us leaving the door open while trying to clean out the tank!! :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Good stuff, he is so cute! How old is he? I have five dragons, Gabriel 5 1/2 yrs old, Cierra and Nathaiel, brother and sister, 2 1/2 yrs old; Castiel almost 2 yrs old; and Imp, 8 mo old.

leneabean

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":3j2hy4sn said:
Good stuff, he is so cute! How old is he? I have five dragons, Gabriel 5 1/2 yrs old, Cierra and Nathaiel, brother and sister, 2 1/2 yrs old; Castiel almost 2 yrs old; and Imp, 8 mo old.

He's 3, 4th birthday in August! He's our first and only bearded dragon but we've had rescue lizards in the past just not all of them were able to be saved :( On Monday, we bought a baby on our own for the first time! A Savannah monitor!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Awww, he's so cute and he's really enjoying being with you. You'll have to post pics of your new baby, too. I have a few friends who have Savanah's, love them but don't have the room for them. 5 beardies and 2 geckos is all I can handle.

leneabean

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":276tvdqc said:
Awww, he's so cute and he's really enjoying being with you. You'll have to post pics of your new baby, too. I have a few friends who have Savanah's, love them but don't have the room for them. 5 beardies and 2 geckos is all I can handle.

There will be pictures once she calms down and isn't stressed from a new location! & five bearded and two geckos is a perfect amount :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I know, I love them all, I always have five, I rescue them and when I lose one, for whatever reason, I always find another. I always have a full house.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
moved to Beardie Tales as not a health concern. Added by moderator

So to answer the questions you had, they do sleep well if they're well fed and their temps are good and they've been active during the day. So that's not a concern.

My dragons sometimes sleep in their hides and sometimes in other areas of their tanks, it's different every night. So that's not a concern either, especially since you don't use light at nighttime.

I moved your post to Beardie Tales as you don't really have health concerns and your topics were easily answered. This way you can post pics and update on how your boy is doing. What's his name? And I'm sure glad you got him!

leneabean

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":abh05yh1 said:
moved to Beardie Tales as not a health concern. Added by moderator

So to answer the questions you had, they do sleep well if they're well fed and their temps are good and they've been active during the day. So that's not a concern.

My dragons sometimes sleep in their hides and sometimes in other areas of their tanks, it's different every night. So that's not a concern either, especially since you don't use light at nighttime.

I moved your post to Beardie Tales as you don't really have health concerns and your topics were easily answered. This way you can post pics and update on how your boy is doing. What's his name? And I'm sure glad you got him!

Not sure why someone moved it to health haha! But he's puff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom