Neurological disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay07

Hello, my boy, Bart, is a 5 year old, 23" sandfire. He has a 48x24x18 critter condo with a ceramic tile substrate. The viv is kept on the floor with the doors open so he can free roam. ZooMed basking spot, ReptiSun 10.0 T8 tube and heat emitter. Recently the spot was replaced with a 70 watt MegaRay UVB. Hot side 100 and cool side 85. Offered salad, greens and squash, everyday and live feeders, crickets, phoenix worms and roaches once a week. The live feeders are dusted and the greens are dusted twice a week.

Ever since we got Bart, at 6 months from a reptile expo, he always had a little head shaking. His checkups were always normal and we were told not to worry. At about one year old he had an "episode" where he kept his head down and spun in circles. He was rushed to the vet and hospitalized for a few days. After some meds and a couple of big poops he came home fine. We had been feeding him large crickets and thought that the episode was due to impaction but the vet couldn't give a specific cause.

A couple of weeks ago, after eating about 15 large crickets, he had another episode. Head down, nose to the ground, and spinning in circles. Lasted for few minutes and then he was fine. Then this past Sunday, again after eating, he had another major episode and this time he has not come out of it. He was taken to the vet, Monday, where his physical exam and x-ray were normal. Sent home with antibiotic, calcium and anti-inflamitory. Blood tests results, the next day, were normal except his calcium was high, 14. We went back to see the more experience beardie doctor who said that we are looking at a neurological disorder. Stroke or brain lesion. Told to stop the calcium and continue antibiotic and anti-inflamitory. He hasn't eaten or pooped since last Sunday. Told to soak him two to three times a day and if he doesn't eat on his own soon to syringe feed baby food. If there is no improvement in a couple of days then the next step is brain imaging.

When he lays down he's fine. He moves his head and eyes and is expressive. When I pick him up he becomes agitated and forces his head down as if to try and curl into a ball or flip over. If I hold his head up he's fine. When I remove the support his head and body drops and he "zones" out. Doesn't blink.

That's the history. The question is how best to support him? Getting him to eat and poop. I took emergency vacation this week, boss not happy, to be home with him but what do I do when I have to leave him alone for an extended period of time? Sorry for the long post but a general search didn't provide a lot of answers. He's my little boy and I love him so much. I hope someone can help. Thank you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I'm so sorry to hear about Bart. :( I know this is very stressful for you. I'm not sure that large feedings can cause this, somehow it seems that they trigger the behavior, but it may be a coincidence. Most large beardies have no problem with large prey items, but babies [ and possibly adults ] may develop impaction from eating large bugs, esp. if eaten in large amounts. BUT....that usually causes the hind leg paralysis, [ from the large mass of undigested food pressing on the spine ] not the symptoms Bart is having. I would definitely not soak Bart 2-3 X a day.....it accomplishes nothing and can add to his stress right now as well as keeping him constantly wet. Oral fluids mixed with some Critical Care formula will hydrate him, not soaking where he risks aspirating water while he thrashes around. Ask the vet for Critical Care formula, it's much more nutritious than baby food.....don't know why he recommended baby food. Just support him well when you pick him up to lessen his stress. Don't be too concerned about a poo right now, he's not eating so there's not much to come out. If + when he does eat bugs again, just a few at a time rather than a huge amount once a week. Hopefully if there's an infection causing this the antibiotics will help, but if they don't then discontinue them so they don't affect his appetite any more. This could be a brain lesion or stroke as was mentioned, so hope for the best but be ready for the worst....I hope there's some chance for him. Best wishes to you + Bart !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome...and yes, Critical Care has a lot of nutrition in it. You might still buy a few jars of baby food.....squash, peas, green bean. It just spoils so easily so get the smallest jars.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear that Bart is having these issues.
I agree, it does seem coincidental he has these episodes after eating. Just to see if it helps out, you could try feeding smaller insects in case he may have some type of digestive or neurological issue that may be irritated by too much food in the stomach.
Critical care should be easy to find either through your vet or online. It is very nutritious & since he likely needs supportive care that would be the best choice.
Were there any other blood values that were off other than the calcium being at 14?
Just be sure to support his head when you pick him up, that should help. I hope the antibiotics help out. Which one is he on?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Jay07

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie. The antibiotic just says "TMS Suspension". I will ask the vet what exactly that is. He actually ate three phoenix worms yesterday. I put a few a dish in front of him and he stopped circling, lifted his head and upper body and very accurately grabbed them with his tongue but then went right back to circling. He slept through the night very comfortably. I have just four more days before I have to go back to work and leave him alone all day. That has me worried if he doesn't improve.

Jay07

Original Poster
Drache613":g6s26kgz said:
Hello,

Sorry to hear that Bart is having these issues.
I agree, it does seem coincidental he has these episodes after eating. Just to see if it helps out, you could try feeding smaller insects in case he may have some type of digestive or neurological issue that may be irritated by too much food in the stomach.
Critical care should be easy to find either through your vet or online. It is very nutritious & since he likely needs supportive care that would be the best choice.
Were there any other blood values that were off other than the calcium being at 14?
Just be sure to support his head when you pick him up, that should help. I hope the antibiotics help out. Which one is he on?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Other than the high calcium his blood test was normal, good liver and kidney function. It's my first time posting so I'm still trying to figure out how to respond. Sorry.

Jay07

Original Poster
Bart spent today resting in one of his favorite spots enjoying a nice breeze. He didn't really move much but wasn't agitated and had beautiful colors most of the day. One of the vets I consulted with said that if it is a brain condition that he may feel better away from the light and heat which was the case today. We will start feeding him with the "critical care" formula tomorrow and try to coax a poop out of him. This is my first Beardie so I will appreciate any and all help and experience.

Jay07

Original Poster
Yesterday started out good. Bart got his meds and we put him in his viv to warm up. He looked more alert but still didn't move well. After about 2 hours of "cooking" we decided to try a bath to see if he would poop. Soaked, holding his head up, for about 20 mins and drank some water from a dropper. He became agitated in the water and when we took him out he anxiously circled for about an hour. At one point he started taking deep breaths, gurgled, drooled and stopped breathing. He got very pale and his beard got very black. We lost him for a few seconds. It was very scary but with a little bit of belly and chest massage we got him back. He spent the evening and night in our bedroom. We slept on the floor with him. This morning he woke up alert with great colors. I am afraid to even move him after what happened yesterday. Definitely no more baths. He doesn't want any part of that right now. I may just try to offer some worms, greens and water from a dropper without moving him. What do you all think?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Bart [ and you guys, too ! ] I agree , no more baths since they are dangerous for him and exactly my thoughts from the start. Just offer water via syringe every few days + small feedings. He will need his heat + uvb, so he'll need to be in his tank unless you can rig something on the floor for him.

Jay07

Original Poster
AHBD":2zq6xrjh said:
Poor Bart [ and you guys, too ! ] I agree , no more baths since they are dangerous for him and exactly my thoughts from the start. Just offer water via syringe every few days + small feedings. He will need his heat + uvb, so he'll need to be in his tank unless you can rig something on the floor for him.

He only seems to relax in our bedroom. I'll have to try and rig up a mercury vapor in there for him. Our next option might be hospitalization but I'm afraid that the stress may be too much for him. I was hoping there would be improvement by now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can set up ab area with a mercury vapor bulb for him. I doubt very much that a stay in the clinic will help him . If the antibiotics + anti inflammatory meds. don't help then there's really nothing for a neurological issue. He can live for months or probably a few years like that , and you can observe what irritates him + what keeps him comfortable. That's about the best you can do.

Jay07

Original Poster
AHBD":3fuvxk8p said:
You can set up ab area with a mercury vapor bulb for him. I doubt very much that a stay in the clinic will help him . If the antibiotics + anti inflammatory meds. don't help then there's really nothing for a neurological issue. He can live for months or probably a few years like that , and you can observe what irritates him + what keeps him comfortable. That's about the best you can do.
Thank you for the reply. He means the world to me so I am hoping for at least a few years.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Bart he had quite a stressful day then!
I agree, sometimes certain things just set conditions off for no apparent reason. I would forego the baths since he has reactions like that!
You can keep him hydrated through dropper feedings, etc.
I think lowering the basking temperature may help, too. I hope that he improves, soon. Which meds is he on?

Tracie

Jay07

Original Poster
Drache613":38x1rgo0 said:
Hello,

Poor Bart he had quite a stressful day then!
I agree, sometimes certain things just set conditions off for no apparent reason. I would forego the baths since he has reactions like that!
You can keep him hydrated through dropper feedings, etc.
I think lowering the basking temperature may help, too. I hope that he improves, soon. Which meds is he on?

Tracie
Thanks Tracie. The antibiotic bottle says " TMS Suspension" and the anti-inflamitory is Metacam. Though I'm a little concerned with giving him anything by mouth because it seems to cause him to choke and gag. I will start today with just warming him up and go from there. I am very nervous because I'm supposed to return to work tomorrow. I am afraid of leaving him home alone all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom