Does dry reptile food expire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not really .... it might if opened frequently though.

I use the dry reptile food (pellets) to feed my crickets (superworms and mealworms when I have them , as a supplement to the oat and wheat bran and carrots).

More of hit with the crickets than they ever were with the beardies and bluetongues.

I usually 4 bottles of RepCal Adult Beardie Pellets at time (saves on postage) and this will last about 8 months.

Meggaloo87

Original Poster
Ok so if I have a bottle that fell behind my cabinet for several years that had the sealer open but the lid was closed - it's dangerous to feed it?

Also, from other posts I'm guessing calcium liquid and powder doesn't expire. Correct?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Meggaloo87":39ku9v8s said:
Ok so if I have a bottle that fell behind my cabinet for several years that had the sealer open but the lid was closed - it's dangerous to feed it?

Also, from other posts I'm guessing calcium liquid and powder doesn't expire. Correct?

I know the calcium liquid goes off. I had an old bottle of it in the fridge that had been there for 6 years, opened and syringed up some and it looks off.

If in doubt the safest tack is to toss it out. It's probably OK if it looks OK and smells OK to feed to the insects.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Meggaloo87":3vjmkjyb said:
To clarify, the pellets are beardie food - not cricket food. :)

I know, but the crickets LOVE the dry adult beardie pellets none-the-less and it's a great way to gut load them along with some leafy greens.
I discovered they like them by accident, I dropped a pellet on the floor one day when was giving pellets as a treat to Rex and Puff and spotted a rogue cricket running across the kitchen floor dragging the pellet.

More of hit with crickets than the dragons (even if I soften them).

Meggaloo87

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2euyehky said:
I know, but the crickets LOVE the dry adult beardie pellets none-the-less and it's a great way to gut load them along with some leafy greens.

So, the older food would be beneficial to at the very least feed to my crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom