Started hissing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeobyte

Hi all,

My beardie is now approximately 10 months old. Ive had him for about 6 months. He has always been very timid, never bit, never hissed. Handled frequently, usually once a day, occasionally once every other day. The past week or so we can hear him hiss when we pick him out his viv or pass between handlers. It doesn't seem aggressive, more slightly annoyed. If you aren't paying attention it'd be difficult to hear. No inflating beards or black beards or any other sign of aggression.

Any ideas?
Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If there isn't a black beard or wide open mouth it may just be mild annoyance. Has anything changed in his routine or handling frequency? At 10 months he may be starting in on his teenage phase which may have him a bit moodier than usual for a bit.

Zeobyte

Original Poster
No changes at all, he just seems grumpier. He has always been incredibly timid so could it be he is finally relaxing so feels more confident in asserting himself?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's another possibility. Has his appetite or weight changed recently? If not, that's a good sign. As they get used to their environment they tend to calm down. That's what's making me think it may be hormonal.

Zeobyte

Original Poster
His weight hasn't changed at all. He doesn't eat as much as he used to when he was younger but that's natural at this age isn't it? He used to eat 20 large locusts a day, now it's 10 a day. He is doing a fair bit of glass surfing at the minute but I think that's just cause it's mating season for him

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the decrease in appetite is normal. It's good that his weight is stable. I'm guessing it's hormonal and nothing to worry about. Not much you can do except wait it out in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom