Probiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

junipiner

So i have a 2 year old bearded dragon that has been losing weight although he is eating regularly. his pooping has even increased (all solid and daily) but his tail is very thin and you can see the bones. i have heard that you can give them bene bac and soy yogurt to help with this. my question is, how much bene bac should be given and does the yogurt need to be plain or can it be flavored?

i am doing my best to take care of him at home while i save money for the vet

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The weight loss is concerning but it's good that he's still eating. Benebac or acidophiliz+ are good probiotic options. The benebac dosage is usually 1g (1 notch on the syringe) every few days. The acidophiliz+ is offered a few drops daily. You can use flavored soy yogurt if you want. The important part is that it's non dairy.

junipiner

Original Poster
Thank you for the speedy reply. I am going to look for the medicines or order online but will try the yogurt tonight. I am going to try to get him into the vet as soon as possible but his vet is a distance and i worry about him getting too cool on the way and i have to come up with the funds.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. They tend to be fine in the car at regular temperatures. Just bring a tote bag or box with a towel or blanket at the bottom for him to sit in and feel secure. I've brought them on trips of 6+ hrs without a problem. In the winter I bring hand warmers to put under the blankets but have only used them when I stop to eat.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Question on the "few drops" if I'm using a syringe - is that .05cc approximately ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends. I don't usually measure too closely (I use a syringe as well). I provide maybe .5-1ml or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom