Changing eating habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonedaddy

I have my first beardie for about 3 months now. He is growing well and is constantly shedding. He looks healthy and plumb. He was eating about 50 crickets a day and a couple super worms. Lately he doesnt seem interested in the crickets all that much. He is down to 10 or less crickets a day. He also eats some greens and carrots daily.

I was wondering if this is normal?

P.S. I don't know how old he is, but his is about 13 inches from tip to tip.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Welcome to a life as a beardie's slave / daddy. The rate of shedding does slow down.

I'm guessing you are giving pin-head crickets if he's been eating 50 per day. Time to upsize the crickets to 1/3 size (10-12mm) crickets.

Lay off the superworms (just like mealworms - pretty hard for very young beardies to digest properly and an impaction risk), best kept as treats only for when they are adults and can handle them.
If you want to give your little boy a great start on life I highly recommend adding silkworms to the live insect staples (daily feeds), I'm guessing your boy is about 70g (if about 3 months old), so he'll take small (1" long) and medium (1"-2") silkworms, one meal of silkworms per day as a substitute for one of his meals of crickets).

I also recommend phoenix worms (aka BSF maggots , calci-gents , calc-worms) , bit you'll use A LOT of these per feed , been told little beardies go bananas over them.

I found when I was offering the greens and salad (grated carrot etc) in the am with the first live insect feed, my two hatchlings Peppa and Toothless were filling up on the greens and salad and would have no room left for their insects, I rearranged my feeding schedule so the greens and salad were offered with their last insect meal of the day in the pm , and problem was solved. They need their insect protein much more while very young than their greens and veg.

BTW - Not at all uncommon for young beardies to go through phases (like kids) when they seem to get bored with the same food day in day out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom