Should I separate my lizards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
I think Bandit's colors are getting more defined. I've started calling him my mocha lizard, because he's got this dark brown thing starting to happen on some of him. Banzai is much yellower with a streak of orange near her jaw. They are so different, and I love them both so much.

hounder02

It's amazing how their own personalities emerge when given the opportunity. We separated two, one was clearly disappointed and depressed for days over the separation. The other one, let everyone know he was king and ready to take on the world. They both were the same age. It took a few days for them to adjust to the idea but finally became gap with their own space.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
hounder02":3hmxx9hu said:
It's amazing how their own personalities emerge when given the opportunity. We separated two, one was clearly disappointed and depressed for days over the separation. The other one, let everyone know he was king and ready to take on the world. They both were the same age. It took a few days for them to adjust to the idea but finally became gap with their own space.

I think that Bandit loves it. He can sit wherever he likes, whenever he likes, and sleep on his branch without getting thrown off. I'm not sure how Banzai is taking it, though. Her appetite has been a bit down. It could also be that she has been shedding, or relocation stress since she was the one who moved.

Overall, they seem relieved to be out of each other's hair, though. Or scales, I guess.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
dragonmama2047":12t9htj2 said:
kingofnobbys":12t9htj2 said:
:) .... excellent news .... now you'll going to have to buy more bugs as both will be doing their best to eat you out of house and home in very short order now they both have their own homes and both are happy and relaxed.

If you haven't been , now is the time for weekly weigh-ins to monitor their growth.

Sounds awesome. I've got a food scale that measures in grams--picked it up for weighing yarn, it's a long story--and I bet it would work perfectly....

And it looks like my Bandit has some catching up to do. He's at 115 grams and Banzai is at 155.

OMG!!! I'm so happy. Banzai gained a little and is creeping up on 160 grams, but Bandit gained all the way to 125. It's slow, but he's starting to catch up already. :blob8:

Better, he used to be two inches smaller than Banzai, and now he's at 14.5 inches and Banzai's at 15.25. The difference is so much smaller.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
By the way, anyone who wants to use this thread as a demonstration of why to house lizards separately is perfectly welcome to. I wish we had known what we needed to do sooner. :protest:

Our lizards used to be two inches apart in size and now they're down to 3/4 of an inch in difference, and that's after only two weeks! The little one is thriving now that he has his own living space, and the big one doesn't seem to mind that much either.

No more bullying! And it's wonderful.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
:)

I had a similar reaction from Toothless when I separated him and Peppa, of course Peppa become like a different lizard who was very much happier immediately.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2vto833u said:

I had a similar reaction from Toothless when I separated him and Peppa, of course Peppa become like a different lizard who was very much happier immediately.

I barely recognize my Bandit now, he's so much happier. He's always been a lover, but now he likes to roam a bit too instead of just sitting in your hand like he's too timid to go anywhere. And has he ever grown....

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
My husband noticed this first, but while there's still a weight discrepancy, Bandit and Banzai are now the same length, at about 16 inches each. :blob5: They are growing so fast.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
dragonmama2047":3ewip078 said:
My husband noticed this first, but while there's still a weight discrepancy, Bandit and Banzai are now the same length, at about 16 inches each. :blob5: They are growing so fast.

.... they do grow FAST !!!! wont be long and you'll have 2 serious lizards on your hands.

Bet they have completely different personalities too.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1g9gjh6r said:
dragonmama2047":1g9gjh6r said:

.... they do grow FAST !!!! wont be long and you'll have 2 serious lizards on your hands.

Bet they have completely different personalities too.

Yup. Banzai is very adventurous--always wants to explore when she comes out--but she also seems to be the more emotional of the two. When she gets mad or freaked out for any reason she finds the nearest hide and says "screw you guys, I'm not even here." My husband says she once full-on skittered away and bearded him when something startled her, we still don't know what did it.

Bandit is much more laid back, in spite of the fact that he's the one the vet was sure is male. He'll sit with you for a long time before striking off on his own to explore. Last night he hung on to my shoulder while I was up and moving for fifteen minutes before lights out and snoozed there for a good half hour before I put him in his tank for the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom