Issues continue, lots of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you want to test for a really good price, let me know. I coordinate with a lab in Dallas & they do a fecal PCR test which would be perfect for him since he doesn't weigh 100 grams in order to get blood.
I am so sorry he has had some bad days there!
How is he doing today?
What are you giving him for immune support?
At least he is alert, but he is having a hard time, poor guy. :cry:

Tracie

Woodsman

Original Poster
Drache613":3edq2sb0 said:
Hello,

If you want to test for a really good price, let me know. I coordinate with a lab in Dallas & they do a fecal PCR test which would be perfect for him since he doesn't weigh 100 grams in order to get blood.
I am so sorry he has had some bad days there!
How is he doing today?
What are you giving him for immune support?
At least he is alert, but he is having a hard time, poor guy. :cry:

Tracie

Well, ultimately I'd like the test because he simply doesn't seem to be improving in terms of his movement. Something isn't right. His attitude seems good, but if I'm being honest with myself, he's not really improving. It doesn't seem like the treatment given is working.

Right now, he's been through two rounds of antibiotics. The first was Albon which I gave him for 5 days, the second the vet administered when he was boarded (not sure what she gave him). He also had calcium shots while boarded.

I'm giving him liquid calcium twice a day per the vet. I also give him probiotics (Benebac) twice a week. His diet consists entirely of Oxbow Critical Care, Carnivore Care, and Repashy Grub Pie (all of which are administered by me with a syringe). He cannot move enough to chase down his own food, and any premixed food or fresh veggies sit in his tank uneaten . Some days he eats willingly (from the syringe), some days he doesn't. All are mixed with 1cc or more of water, he also gets baths for hydration.

He has only gained 3 grams since I got him two months ago. He went from 12g to 15g. He seems to only bask for about an hour a day then he moves to the cold side or goes into his hide, when before his health troubles he basked all day long nearly. He can't be properly digesting this way. I've obsessively tweaked his temperatures and tried to improve his basking area but to no avail. I've tried Mercury Vapor bulbs, T8 Reptisun 10.0, and now a T5 Arcadia 12% and basking spot temps from 100 - 112.

Soooo.... at this point I just don't know what else to do. On the bright side, his mouth infection is completely healed, but it hasn't helped his appetite.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that he has not really improved, that is very discouraging I know.
I am glad his mouth infection has at least cleared up though. Does he show fighting spirit & are his eyes alert though? He does not or can't eat any live insects?
He is only basking an hour or so a day? That isn't real long, I agree. Maybe try the basking at 95-98 or so, perhaps the higher basking might be too much for him.
You are getting him to the vet this saturday? Let us know how that goes.

Tracie

Lovmybeardie

Hatchling Member
I am so sorry this has been such a hard road for you both!
I am also sorry you have not seen any improvements as I know you prob study him everyday to see if there is some. I am happy his mouth is better as I am sure that was painful for him.
Yes I for sure agree with the idea of maybe lowering his temps a bit to see if maybe he will like that better. That temp might be easier for him to take.

I will keep checking in, keep us posted when you can!
Your doing so amazing!!

Woodsman

Original Poster
Sorry for the lack of updates. The visit to the vet didn't go well. She actually recommended euthanasia... his behavior of avoiding warmth, not eating on his own, and no weight gain, combined with inability to properly articulate movement illustrated to her that he has given up on trying to survive and it's only my force feeding and constant intervention that's keeping him going.

Trying to decide what to do. I would ultimately like to know if it's Adeno or another disease, so I can evaluate my care and take necessary measures for the future. She did think I got him sick to begin with, since we've thoroughly gone over his enclosure and my care in pretty great detail looking for answers. Feels terrible though.

Woodsman

Original Poster
Little Beardie passed away today. I couldn't give up on him, kept up with the routine until the end. I noticed his tongue turning yellow a day or so ago - so looks like ultimately kidney or liver failure took him out.

I learned a lot through this process. I never got the test done for Adeno, but it was a good possibility. Anyway, thought I'd give a final update. We had a little funeral for him. I'll be getting another dragon in the coming months from a reputable breeder or farm, if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them. That will also allow me to finish a proper enclosure.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry you lost your little guy....you really did your best and tried hard to give him every chance to live. All my sympathy to you ! :(

Here are some reputable long time breeders for when you're ready for a new dragon.
A-1 reptiles, Rainbow bearded dragons, Atomic lizard ranch, Dachiu bearded dragons, Draggintails bearded dragons. All of these have been breeding at least 20 years [ Rainbow a bit less than 20 I think ] and have excellent reputations + reviews.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry your little one passed away.?
It is so heart breaking to lose one. You did your best with him.
Very few breeders test though, so it's best to ask before purchasing one.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom