Help Save My Beardie - She is in sudden need of surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitlings

Hi everyone. I've posted here quite a few times in the past year about my little dragon's care and health. She's had a rough first year of her life, that's for sure. I did my absolute best to take care of her. As a new bearded dragon owner, I wanted to make sure I got everything right and I asked for advice from you experienced owners. Now, I am in need of another kind of assistance.

https://www.gofundme.com/2ka6masc

This link takes you to the GoFundMe page which I have just set up for my beardie Laza. Her story is explained on there. She has follicular stasis and needs surgery ASAP. We are not sure why, but the vet says it happens sometimes to bearded dragons in captivity. And he has been seeing it in younger and younger dragons. Laza herself is only about 14 months old -- I didn't even know it was possible for egg development to start at this age!

I am a graduate with a BFA degree struggling to find work and pay student loans. I have spent a considerable amount of money on her vet bills, but this surgery expense is just too much for me at this time in my life. So I am reaching out for help.

PLEASE donate if you can, ANY amount is appreciated.
And sharing it will help more people see it so more might send donations.
Even if you can only spare $1 or $5, it WILL eventually add up and I can make the goal! <3

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wish you both the best luck with the surgery and the funding for it. Have you discussed options for financing the surgery with your vet? They are often willing to set up payment plans that may make the bills easier to manage. It may be worth asking about since the surgery is fairly time sensitive.

Kitlings

Original Poster
Hi Cooper, and thank you. I spoke with them about any payment options I could possibly have. The vet's office will not accept CareCredit due to past issues (something about CareCredit's interest and payments having problems). However, they said they can do a plan for me where I pay part of the cost upfront and the rest within 60 days. But the amount paid upfront would be at least 50%, so I need to raise at least $350 before the surgery is possible :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to see you were able to raise the down payment. Please let us know how the surgery goes!

Kitlings

Original Poster
Thanks for checking back in :)

The vet called this morning after the surgery and said everything went well! I can pick her up tomorrow if the recovery goes smoothly.

I checked in with them this afternoon. They said she isn't eating, but that they typically don't like to eat after surgery anyway, so they will just try feeding her again later.

I posted an update on the gofundme page.

Kitlings

Original Poster
Hi CooperDragon. Sorry for the late response, been very busy lately and I haven't yet posted an update with pictures.

Basically, Laza is doing ***very*** well right now. She recovered from her surgery, got the stitches removed, and has been more active than ever. She still gets random episodes of refusing to eat sometimes, but overall I'm very impressed by her health.

After I got enough for the down payment (half the total cost) I was able to get the surgery done, but the donations stopped coming in after that. Money has been tight. Don't get me wrong though, the money I did get really helped and the surgery wouldn't have been possible without it. It's fantastic.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear she is doing well! Makes the surgery worthwhile for sure. Perhaps the vet will let you break the rest of the payments down into small, manageable chunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom