Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Makayla, I am, on a new antibiotic that doesn't bother my stomach, not coughing much but had puffers for that if needed. Just still tired but even that's getting better. Off next week, too, see my doc on Thursday, then see when I go back to work.

Have some pics to post, but will do that later, have to check the crew.

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Wow so they can lay eggs twice in such a short period of time (she laid eggs just a month or so ago, didn't she?).

Sorry that you are still under the weather.

Lucky did something to his leg over-night, so he is going to the vet later this afternoon. He's not impacted, he cannot possibly have MBD . . . so I have no clue what he did. He put weight on really fast, so I am guessing he tried to make a jump that he used to be able to make, and he didn't make it and fell. But there is nothing that he could fall that far from. I lowered everything in the cage and took out anything that his leg could get caught on, but he has just been laying on his basking spot all day. :( He can walk, but that leg is not working right, so he won't walk much.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'm glad you're getting him to the vet, he could have just pulled something but also could be something more serious. I pulled one of Nathaniel's arms when I was getting him out from under the stereo cabinet, it took a week to heal and he was really good about not walking on it, he stayed quiet all day for 5 days. Considering he's my craziest dragon when it comes to running around, that was unusual. I didn't take him to the vet, because I knew it was just a pulled muscle and within a week he was runnng around again.

So Imp shows me how he pancakes, still on Ella:
11887-8982247575.jpg

A few pics of Cierra after eggs, she's doing really well, I weighed her this am & she was 410, so really only needs to gain about 50g to get to her normal weight. So that's good, she's eating all her greens and lots of super worms.
11887-5466638319.jpg
11887-3105362780.jpg
11887-9321281467.jpg

Imp in his bath, his colours are popping lately
11887-8028159979.jpg

Imp and Cierra got an hour in the sunshine today. Tomorrow the older boys get their turns.
11887-5869938740.jpg
11887-6388172940.jpg

So after an hour I brought Imp in but couldn't find Cierra, but then I did:
11887-7720675608.jpg
And there she was, after looking for her on my hands and knees under all the plant tables :roll:
11887-3843766772.jpg

And a few pics of the rest of the crew:
Gabriel was smiling at me :D
11887-1040275041.jpg

Castiel on his log, he loves that log, that's Rubio's big blanket folded up in the corner, Castiel finds it so soft. It's one of the fleece blankets that my friend Dawn make back in 2011!:
11887-8409591745.jpg

And last but not least, Nathaniel, all healed up:
11887-8451104685.jpg

They're all doing well but Nathaniel's shed on his tail and back legs is taking it's sweet time, so I'm going to cover those areas with coconut oil tonight and do that for a few days to get the shed off.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So weighed Imp and he's 283g and 17" long!!! He'll be 8 mo old on June 1, time sure flies. He's also eaten every single roach in my 2 colonies, so they're both dedicated to breeding now and no touching them expect to put out food. There are already babies and I'm hoping by the end of the summer, they recover again. I told Imp, it's crickets and super worms from now on, he's not too pleased, but that's just too bad. He had the roaches when he really needed them and I can't buy any because they're illegal to buy in Canada. I was just lucky to find someone who sold me a huge colony a few years ago and they've been going strong every since, until Imp came alone :lol:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wowzer! 283 grams and 17 inches long! He sure is having a major growth spurt, huh?
Good job, Mom and Imp!

Imp, aka the roach vacuum. :lol:

PogoLover

Juvie Member
YAY IMP! (too bad about roaches)

Lucky weighed in at 299 grams and 17" tonight. He's about 6 months (he could be a little more than that). His leg is all better (it was just a pulled muscle or something - not bone issues - they x-rayed), but they found that he had too many coccidia so he is on ponazuril for two doses.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
You're right Gina, he is a roach vacuum, but he'll have to get used to crickets and super worms. He didn't eat much today, and wouldn't touch the crickets, my Cierra ate about 50! She'll vacuum them up if she's in the mood :lol: So I have 2 vacuum cleaners in the house.

And poor Lucky, just make sure you have moved all his furniture out but his basking spot and put him on paper towels. That parasite can re-infect him easily, it can be hard to get rid of. He'll need to have another fecal done in 2 weeks to make sure it's gone. I've never had to deal with it, but alot of people I know have, it's a pain. Good luck and I told you he'd be bigger than Imp, I'm will be 8 mo old on June 1, he may even be older.

So I scored today. Remember I said that Walmart stopped bringing in collard greens? Well a local organic food store had a garden sale and I scored 15 collard plants for me and 13 for Joanne, so we're thrilled. I'll have to wait until Tuesday to plant them, have enough soil, I think and enough pots. But the dragons will have collards all summer!
11887-9766310709.jpg

And snuggling with Nathaniel and Castiel on the way to their baths.
11887-4300687267.jpg

Tonja

BD.org Addict
wow that was a lot of eggs! Beautiful pictures of your crew as usual. I love the colors on Imp. Hope you feel better soon. I was under the weather for about 2 weeks, just a slight cough now lingering. Whatever it is, is going around!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Tonya, saw the pics of your 3 Ems, they're so cute!

It started as a cold, turned into bronchitis within 3 days. Now I'm not coughing near as much and have some energy back. Back to work on Friday after I see my doc on Thursday but I don't see an issue with it. The only thing I'm going to miss is my youngest nephew's play at school. He's the Tin Man & has a solo song in the Wizard of Oz. I would have loved to see that but work has to come first, unfortunately.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well we had a great day yesterday for my dad's 89th birthday, we went to the bird sanctuary close to my folks home. It was great, overcast, then a bit sunny, but the picnic area, after we saw & fed all the birds. So had alot of fun.
So here are some birds. Mallard ducks lots of Canada geese adults. Plus ducklings in the water by the picnic area and then sandhill cranes.

Ducks and geese
11887-5350975734.jpg

Mom and duckling (the baby is hard to spot, behind Mom)
11887-8063443438.jpg

A different mom and 18 ducklings in the water. They loved the bird seeds that Ryder threw to them (bought onsite)
11887-8068411289.jpg
11887-5089895306.jpg

My dad sure enjoyed his day
11887-3417440844.jpg
Cake, even!
11887-6569250156.jpg
And a noise maker!
11887-5350485411.jpg

And then the cranes
11887-4423790728.jpg
11887-1024831171.jpg
There were 3 altogether
11887-9689883566.jpg

My nieces and nephews were all there, it was awesome:
11887-7536265296.jpg
11887-6227667266.jpg

Even Ryder, who'd had the stomach flu for 2 days, felt better
11887-5575792794.jpg

So I was tired when I got home, had supper and then realized I had to feed Bunny. So I'm putting crickets in her tank as usual and when I'm done I realized that Bunny was out of her tank! The little brat had snuck underneath my hands and taken off. I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye and there she was, running down the hallway towards the bathroom. I was laughing so loud while I was running to catch up with her. At least she got some exercise, and my heart got some, too, when I couldn't find her :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So back from the docs and the bronchitis still isn't gone. Doc said another 7-10 days, maybe longer. I have a puffer now to take twice a day, the antibiotics finish on Sunday & I have acid reflux from taking them, so have a pill to take 1/2 hr before breakfast. Sigh...I'm glad to be home if I'm on vacation but not sick. I still get so tired, just part of it. I haven't had bronchitis for years, so this is getting to be a big drag. But as doc said, if I go back too early, I'll relapse and be worse for it. So have to see this through.

Everyone's been getting lots of outside time since I've been home. Imp is on the ramp now, I'm just about to take him back to his tank for night night. I can fell that he's gotten heavier, will report what his weight and length are on Sunday, as usual.

I took some "pancake pictures" this week:
Gabriel: first his cute look, then the pancake, he's shedding, poor guy.
11887-8459148071.jpg

11887-8598812455.jpg

Castiel:
11887-9430207139.jpg
And resting after making a fool of himself in front of Cierra...wonder if she's got more eggs going...oh I hope not, too soon.
11887-5194436978.jpg

Nathaniel:
11887-4349261313.jpg

Cierra, she's gained alot of weight and is looking much better:
11887-9074226413.jpg
and with her piggy
11887-7130879736.jpg

And of course, Imp, he sure can flatten himself:
11887-8332684985.jpg
11887-8371873898.jpg

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Do they flatten themselves to get warm and when they are scared/angry?

They are all looking good.

Did your doctors take a chest x-ray?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes, they flatten to get warm, and Gabriel especially, has a big pancake when he flattens out. :lol: No, my doc is having me take Advair puffer twice a day, I see him Friday, if it's not cleared up then I'm going to ask for an xray. I had a "return to work" call today, so if I'm fine by Friday, I go to work on Monday and see how many hours I can do. I hate this, as much as I love being home for the babies, I hate being sick, it's hard to do anything.

I tried to get a close up of Imp with his eye colours, but my camera keeps showing up orange where around his eyes is actually deep brick red:
11887-3606415121.jpg

He's getting more colourful every month.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So got everyone's weight & Imp's length:

Imp 320g and 17 1/4" long

Nathaniel 476g

Cierra: 463g up from 435 on May 22!

Gabriel staying steady at 596g, my chunky monkey

Castiel 576, down a bit but not too bad.

Everyone had baths today and poops except Castiel, will continue to work on him.

Urates were hard so baths daily this week because I'm home, after that every 2 days, means getting up early but that's what has to be done. Giving them water when in the bath and days they're not in the bath should help, too.

Off to pick up mail and get some provisions. Everyone got some sun today, too, which they all enjoyed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom