Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go to a very reputable reptile vet. During a recent fecal for Haku (which came back clean??) they saw undigested reptiworms. I thought this was normal seeing as they sometimes are barely even chewed when Haku eats too fast, but the vet said it's actually because I'm overfeeding.

Haku is about to be five months, she is 173 grams and 14 1/2 inches and eats either 50-100 worms or crickets a day, along with her veggies. The vet, however, said it should be more like seven worms or crickets. This seems really small to me but he made me nervous and claimed her growing so fast is actually a bad thing. Her first fecal was a month ago and she was 92 grams and 11 inches.

So my questions are, is she growing too fast for her age and what IS the right amount to feed a juvenile dragon?

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
My female, who will be 1 year at the end of May, gets 1 or 2 medium crickets a day and a daily salad. My vet switched her over to the adult diet back in March (80% salad and veggies; 20% insect feeders) because she was too big.

Redleg

DaisyDragon123":2q3yockp said:
My female, who will be 1 year at the end of May, gets 1 or 2 medium crickets a day and a daily salad. My vet switched her over to the adult diet back in March (80% salad and veggies; 20% insect feeders) because she was too big.

I'm not sure how a Dragon can be "too big" ?? And how big was that if you do not mind sharing.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
83620-9352906025.jpg

DaisyDragon. She was probably 10 months in the above picture. She is 335 grams.

Vets don't like to see any animal with too much weight. A weight gain of 80 grams in such a short time does sound a little high. I imagine your vet probably looked at your dragon's fat reserves and figured it would not hurt to slow him down.

As far as undigested Phoenix Worms, you may have to feed them individually or poke a hole in the worm to help with digestion. Sounds like your dragon is consuming too many whole and not chewing.

I would also suggest adding other feeders such as roaches and crickets, silkworms, hornworms in addition to the Phoenix Worms.

alexarayehelena

Original Poster
Thank you! I do also feel roaches and crickets. My vet actually hasn't seen Haku yet, he was doing the fecals for me without ever actually seeing her due to me putting out a lot of money at the time for my other dragon Mushu.

I will try to figure out how to post pictures and maybe you guys could check Haku out and tell me what you think.

alexarayehelena

Original Poster
He does want to see her but every time I try they are booked. He's usually not okay with doing any sort of treatment without seeing them, but since Mushu was costing me so much money he threw in a free fecal for Haku, which was super nice.i guess I'll feed her a bit less and then ask their opinion again once they physically see her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom