New Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, My little guy's tank has been recently, thoroughly cleaned out. I tried to arrange things to give him optimal space, especially for feeding.
87005-1530028829.jpg

So far, so good. Tank is a little small, but he'll live until I can get something better.

One day, I walk in and see this:
87005-8546598600.jpg

I am really glad he is using his branch like this! His rock used to be more under the heat lamp, but when I touched, it felt too hot! SO I had moved it so it wasn't quite so under the lamp. The branch though, doesn't soak up the heat all that much, and he can even get closer to the heat+UV lamp. Yay!

87005-2151846201.jpg

I do need to get him new UVs, as what I got is the 5.0, and from what I've heard, those aren't strong enough for Beardies. He has been getting outside time to bask, as well, when it isn't cold and rainy out.
His substrate is a vita-sand, mostly calcium but other Beardie essential minerals and vitamins too. He does well in it, and it's been easy enough to keep clean so far, especially with the sand scoop I got.
He is able to turn around and chase crickets, though it does look kinda tight sometimes, he is over a foot long tip to tip.
He can't have water in his tank, all he does is make a mess and get it everywhere, the stinker. He doesn't have the concept of drinking down. He has drank while taking a soak before,because I had put droplets on the tip of his snout. But he doesn't seem all to interested in drinking.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Your baby is beautiful and I love the way he basks. I'm so glad you get him outside, an hour in sunshine is worth 5 hours under the UVB

I would highly recommend you change the sand out. He'll lick it up every time he chases a cricket and he doesn't process sand in his digestive system, it makes a lump in his stomach and will eventually cause an impaction, which is hard to get rid of. I used to use sand, too, until I found out that when they poop, they leave liquid behind and it causes bacteria in the sand. They lick everything, so that eventually gets into their system, too. So I switched to newspaper (I get a free one) but tile is great too, there are so many solid substrates you can use.

I find that's the most expensive part of having a beardie, the UVB lights. So when you switch, the ReptiSun 10.0 has better UVB than the 5.0, as you said. Amd once you have the bigger tank and the proper UVB, try to get it inside the tank, that way he gets 100% of the UVB rays.

If you have a PetCo in your area, check their $1/gallon tank sales, I think they have a couple a year. That's the best time to get tanks, as they're so expensive when new. Try checking Craig's list or other reptile buy/sell sites online (Facebook), there are a few. Maybe one in your area. A 40 gallon breeder or critter tank will last him his whole life. That's what mine are in, 75 gallon is better but I don't have the room, having 5 dragons and 2 geckos in a 1 bedroom apartment! But I wouldn't part with them!

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I love the gaping, looks like they're laughing :D

CMJHBFantasy

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":95njvzl5 said:
Your baby is beautiful and I love the way he basks. I'm so glad you get him outside, an hour in sunshine is worth 5 hours under the UVB

I would highly recommend you change the sand out. He'll lick it up every time he chases a cricket and he doesn't process sand in his digestive system, it makes a lump in his stomach and will eventually cause an impaction, which is hard to get rid of. I used to use sand, too, until I found out that when they poop, they leave liquid behind and it causes bacteria in the sand. They lick everything, so that eventually gets into their system, too. So I switched to newspaper (I get a free one) but tile is great too, there are so many solid substrates you can use.

I find that's the most expensive part of having a beardie, the UVB lights. So when you switch, the ReptiSun 10.0 has better UVB than the 5.0, as you said. Amd once you have the bigger tank and the proper UVB, try to get it inside the tank, that way he gets 100% of the UVB rays.

If you have a PetCo in your area, check their $1/gallon tank sales, I think they have a couple a year. That's the best time to get tanks, as they're so expensive when new. Try checking Craig's list or other reptile buy/sell sites online (Facebook), there are a few. Maybe one in your area. A 40 gallon breeder or critter tank will last him his whole life. That's what mine are in, 75 gallon is better but I don't have the room, having 5 dragons and 2 geckos in a 1 bedroom apartment! But I wouldn't part with them!

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I love the gaping, looks like they're laughing :D

I have considered the cons of using sand as a substrate, but he is actually doing well in it. I keep it clean, no poop is allowed to sit in (he usually poops on the couch or me anyways, the bugger). The sand is also calcium and various other beneficial minerals, even then, I haven't seen him touch more than the cricket while he "hunts". (I do get him large crickets, harder targets to miss).
I do appreciate you expressing your concern. He has been in this vita sand for about three months, and has been thriving.

We do have a PetCo nearby, that's where I get his crickets from. I have heard of their dollar a gallon deal, though I haven't been there while they were having it. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.
Thank you!

CMJHBFantasy

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":1kn37o2d said:
You're welcome, hopefully they have a sale soon.

I did go buy crickets today, and I took a look at their tanks. I can get a nice one for roughly $60 with my petco card.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
OH that is great, if you can afford it. Your dragon will love the extra space, but be prepared for him to go through a bit of relocation stress. But he'll get used to the new space quickly, you'll see. That is a great price for the 40 gallon cricket keeper tank as it's $130 where I live or more.

CMJHBFantasy

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":38meupyq said:
OH that is great, if you can afford it. Your dragon will love the extra space, but be prepared for him to go through a bit of relocation stress. But he'll get used to the new space quickly, you'll see. That is a great price for the 40 gallon cricket keeper tank as it's $130 where I live or more.

All I need is a job and to take a few measurements to make sure the new tank can still fit where his current one is. If not, I'll have to find somewhere else to put it.
But yeah, hopefully it'll be able to happen sooner than I thought! It would be awesome if he could run around chasing crickets more comfortably!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Good luck with your job hunt, hopefully you find one soon. And yes, he`ll enjoy the new space!

CMJHBFantasy

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":39kxpvy6 said:
Good luck with your job hunt, hopefully you find one soon. And yes, he`ll enjoy the new space!
Thanks!
Hopefully I'll get one before all the schools are out for break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom