UVB LIGHTS ADVICE ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a Repti Glo 10.0 and Repti Glo 2.0

They are two long strips that go along the roof of the vivarium, I'm not very happy with it I don't think ....

I am thinking of changing to Repti Sun 10.0 and Repti Sun 5.0

Is there any advice anybody can give me ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The Reptiglo 10.0 is O.K, but you need to hang it inside the tank so it's about 8" from where she basks. You don't need 2 uvb bulbs,so whether you use either Reptiglo or Reptisun, just one bulb. The Reptisun 10.0 t5 is stronger than the t8, so if you get one, order the t5. It can sit on top of your screen + still provide good uvb. The Reptiglo are best if they have no screen filtering out any uvb. But don't bother with the secondary low uvb bulbs, they won't help much at all. And if you can get the baby out in the sun [ but not in a glass tank ] it will get the best uvb in the world. I raised all my babies in the sun during the warm season, I put them out in a kiddie pool but you can only do it on days that are below 85 degrees or they get too hot. You can stack objects against the pool [ like a plastic plant or plant trellis ] to throw shade on them.Or put them out in the a.m for an hour when it's in the 70's. Very important because the plastic heats up. Here's my set up:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29981/full

Can you spot the babies ?

Libbyrhiann

Original Poster
AHBD":2ctvnxr3 said:
The Reptiglo 10.0 is O.K, but you need to hang it inside the tank so it's about 8" from where she basks. You don't need 2 uvb bulbs,so whether you use either Reptiglo or Reptisun, just one bulb. The Reptisun 10.0 t5 is stronger than the t8, so if you get one, order the t5. It can sit on top of your screen + still provide good uvb. The Reptiglo are best if they have no screen filtering out any uvb. But don't bother with the secondary low uvb bulbs, they won't help much at all. And if you can get the baby out in the sun [ but not in a glass tank ] it will get the best uvb in the world. I raised all my babies in the sun during the warm season, I put them out in a kiddie pool but you can only do it on days that are below 85 degrees or they get too hot. You can stack objects against the pool [ like a plastic plant or plant trellis ] to throw shade on them.Or put them out in the a.m for an hour when it's in the 70's. Very important because the plastic heats up. Here's my set up:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29981/full

Can you spot the babies ?

Oh my gosh you have so many wow !!! Lots of respect. And the vivarium I got had two strip lights at the top of the roof so I just assumed I needed 2 ? You think I only need one strip ?
This is a pic from a few weeks ago, as you can see there's 2 strips?

86678-1966672833.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a nice set up, she can get close to the bulb on the back wall. I prefer the lights mounted directly above, but that will work for you.....but anyway, her main basking platforms are in the back, so that's where the uvb is. You just have to make sure that being such a small dragon that she can find her way up there.

Libbyrhiann

Original Poster
AHBD":1q08bm2r said:
That's a nice set up, she can get close to the bulb on the back wall. I prefer the lights mounted directly above, but that will work for you.....but anyway, her main basking platforms are in the back, so that's where the uvb is. You just have to make sure that being such a small dragon that she can find her way up there.

Yes she's a vey lively dragon she runs around everywhere and she's been up the top ledge a few times. Would you recommend Repti sun over Repti Glo because I've heard Repti Glo can cause eye problems ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Reptiglo is fine....Tamara from Rainbow bearded dragons [ one of the top breeders in the U.S.] uses them over the Reptisun. So it's your choice. Both are good at the distance that your uvb is situated. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I prefer the Reptisun over Exoterra. While they may be alright, I don't think the UVB:UVI ratio is as good as Reptisun or the Arcadia.
Be sure you have plenty of white light to help the overall brightness in the tank too.

Tracie

Libbyrhiann

Original Poster
Drache613":l0n038wv said:
Hello,

I prefer the Reptisun over Exoterra. While they may be alright, I don't think the UVB:UVI ratio is as good as Reptisun or the Arcadia.
Be sure you have plenty of white light to help the overall brightness in the tank too.

Tracie

Yeah I think I will buy the ReptiSun UVB strips

Here's my viv - please excuse it this is an old pic with my Beardie who's now passed but just gives an idea of the brightness.

86678-5474504968.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, there are 2 types of long tube Reptisun 10.0. There is a t8 and a t5....get the t8 because the t5 will be too bright at that close range. The t8 should be fine at that distance, but no closer than 6".....a distance of 8" is better.

Libbyrhiann

Original Poster
AHBD":2cg3w0j7 said:
O.K, there are 2 types of long tube Reptisun 10.0. There is a t8 and a t5....get the t8 because the t5 will be too bright at that close range. The t8 should be fine at that distance, but no closer than 6".....a distance of 8" is better.

Okay how can you tell which is t8 and t5?

I was going to get 10.0 for the back and then a 5.0 for the front

This was the one I was going to purchase -

https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb/?gclid=CMXd5Z7b9cwCFRITGwodNiMEgQ

Libbyrhiann

Original Poster
I have now changed my back strip light to a ReptiSun 10.0, from a ReptiGlo 10.0......

At the front I have a ReptiGlo 2.0

I am thinking of putting my Repti Glo 10.0 at the front but I'm not sure whether that would be too much light for my beardie ? What do you think?

Ed707

Hatchling Member
You can add a 5000k or 6500k led strip light to the 2nd fixture and leave the uvb in the back. The led won't produce heat or uvb just bright light which bearded dragons love. I doubt the 2.0 bulb is even doing anything as far as uvb is concerned anyway

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your new setup sounds good then. :D
I agree, you could use one of the 65K daytime brightness tubes to help out in combination with the Reptisun 10.
How is he enjoying the new setup?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom