New baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got 2 new baby beardies. The one is doing great. He was 6g when I got him and is already 9g a week later. The other one isn't doing as well. They have the same set up. 20 gallon tank 100-110 basking area...uvb. water and collar greens always available. I feed them in a seperate container as to not dirty their tank. They get fed 3 times a day for 10-15 min. Calcium dusted crix. I try not to watch as they feed so they don't get stressed by my watching but he has to eat at least 10 each sitting. He was 5g when I got him and is still 5g 5 days later. I can't figure out how to post a pic though. Any advice? Could he just be a slower grower than his "brother".

HowToTrainYourDragon

Original Poster
Oh yes I definitely feed them separately. I always feed the little one first to...thought maybe he'd be skiddish if he smelt the bigger one having just been in the feeder tank.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If they are housed together the bigger one is dominating the other , this will only become worse as time goes on, and will eventually get violent.

I strongly recommend you either partition the existing tanks into 2 separate equal sized and similarly furnished , heated , UVed and lit enclosures
.........or
set the existing tank aside for now (for when they each are much bigger, you'll need another tank then) and for now invest In two 100 litre capacity storage tubs with clear see through sides , lids , that are stackable (saves in floor space) and convert these into rearing tubs (where the little hatchlings can live for the next several months (until maybe 12 months old and they outgrow them).

I think separating the two little hatchlings ASAP and giving each their own rearing tank will be very beneficial and you'll find both will thrive if housed separately.

I separated Peppa and Toothless at 6 weeks old (about 20g) ,and they have both grown like weeds since , see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=221328

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They both look fine, one just a bit thinner but not of concern. Looks like a leatherback. Just give them time to settle in.

HowToTrainYourDragon

Original Poster
Thank you. I was just concerned with the one guy gaining do much weight and the little one not gaining any. I want my babies to be healthy and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom