Beardie eyes stuck shut help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeLB

Help guys,

My 3 year old beardie is having eye problems. 4 days ago, we found out that she didn't open her eyes for the entire day even when we handled her. Needless to say her appetite has been affected as she can't find her food. She still eats when we force feed her.

Here are some images of her with her eyes seemingly stuck shut.
86875-7431639321.jpg
86875-1746636811.jpg
86875-3698365241.jpg
86875-6014715345.jpg

I've only managed to get an image of her struggling to open her eyes. When I use a moist cotton bud and place it over her eyes for awhile, she seems to be able to open it a little but she does seem quite reluctant to open.

86875-4823081172.jpg

When she does open up her eyes, there seems to be some viscous liquid.

2 weeks ago, I changed one of the bulbs to a ExoTerra UVB 200 13W which i removed after her eye issues occurred. She also has a ExoTerra 150W Basking Lamp which I have also turned off after this incident. I have been using newspaper as her substrate since she was a baby.

Please help!

Here is an image of her when she was younger and healthier. :(
86875-140821217.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Mike.....she may have irritation from the bulb but she should recover. You might rinse it with plain saline [ not contact solution ] How close was the bulb before you removed it, can you be as specific as you can ? Another thing that is of concern is the size of her throat/beard. She may be retaining fluid for some reason. What exactly do you feed her, what supplements + how often do you use them ? Also can you post a pic of her set up ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which UVB lighting did you previously use before you got the Reptiglo light?
The Reptiglo UVB 200 13 watt light is an intense compact/coil light which likely did hurt her eyes but with some daily saline rinses they should improve.
Do you remember if her beard became swollen recently when you started using the new UVB or has it been swollen for awhile now?
What foods & supplementation are you giving her?

Tracie

mikeLB

Original Poster
Hi AHDB and Tracie,

Thanks! I thought that was just a fat little throat. it's been a while. oh dear. She eats mealworms, crickets, veggies, occasion dusting of protein powder. can't get silkworms or any other kind of worms where I am. cept maybe earthworms but I doubt that'll help. She likes to drink quite abit of water when she's showering.

It was a tube reptiglo but it burnt out so I bought a compact instead without researching much on it. :(

mikeLB

Original Poster
hi all.

her eyes haven't been opening or getting better. I bought some saline eyedrops for humans n I'm using it on her. using a cotton bud to help gently rub against her eyes but she gets very irritated. manually feeding her water n food now. :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Her eyes are probably still sore from the compact bulb. If that's what it is It may take a while, maybe another few days or week until they fill better. How close was she to the compact bulb ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing? Did you turn off the UVB light?
I hope the saline solution helps out some for her. How has she been eating?
Continue with assisted feeding right now & add some Bee pollen to help out along with her food daily.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

mikeLB

Original Poster
Unfortunately she hasn't been getting better.
Still providing her with assisted feeding but her appetite has died down so much. Eats once every 2 days now.
Her eyes are stuck shut, slightly puffy.
Have been using saline solutions on cotton buds to dab her eye. Just started on the honey for her eyes 2 days ago. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that she is not improving. Did you replace the UVB light for her already?
Since she is not eating right now & doesn't open her eyes, she definitely is not feeling well. I highly recommend getting her to the vet for a blood panel screening to determine what could be going on with her.
Are you keeping her tank around 80 overnight right now, since she isn't feeling well?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry to hear she hasn't improved. A vet visit would be a good idea. She may have an eye infection and need ointment to help clear it up.

mikeLB

Original Poster
Hi Diamc and Tracie and AHBD and SDragons,

Unfortunately where I am, I do not access to a vet so I can only make do.

The lights have not been on at all but it's still relatively warm. about 82F here actually. should I turn on her basking light or would it irritate her eyes more.

By honey do I need to get some premium manuka stuff. or regular organic honey would work. I've been using the organic stuff n leave a thin layer over her eyelid after using saline. is that how it works?

Thanks guys.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The honey just needs to be raw + unpasteurized. Even if it says " pure ", that doesn't mean it's unpasteurized. Pasteurizing it kills almost all of the powerful antimicrobial properties that are necessary for it to be used as a healing agent. So look for raw, unpasteurized. It doesn't ave to be Manuka, but that's great if you can get it. I used it by watering it down with 1 part honey, 2 parts tap water, but warm the water just a bit to make it easier to work with. Apply with a Q-tip.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would have the basking light on, it wont hurt her eyes any, she needs to bask for the warmth. Have you gotten any food into her?
Definitely give the honey a try, it is very medicinal. Let us know how that goes.
I hope that she starts to feel better soon.

Tracie

mikeLB

Original Poster
Just an update guys. Shes been opening her eyes lately but it doesnt look optimistic to me.

Did everything i could as often as I can but without access to a vet this is all I can manage. :(

86875-5189065970.jpg
86875-5838533663.jpg
86875-9984773001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom