Darwin

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
I thought the same thing but I've been saying I'm going to send cactus for a few months and haven't got around to that yet so I shouldn't be asking for roaches.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Bugger had a bit of a rough day. After being alone for the weekend he got a nice big breakfast of bugs and salad. Had him outside for a bit this morning (sunny and 5.1 UVI reading!) but a crow flew over and scared him silly. He made it from the grass to the front door in a split second (maybe 30 ft). He's FAST! Unfortunately he scraped his chin on the concrete step. Not a huge deal but a good scrape. I got it cleaned up and put some manuka honey on it. He loves the taste of the honey so that was a bonus I suppose. I promised he didn't need to worry about a crow and if a bird attacked him we'd both enjoy grilled bird for lunch, just stay close to the big guy.

He had a vet apt this afternoon. The plan was to send his fecal sample from this morning out to a lab for a more rigorous analysis along with a blood sample. The vet had a new thought that he may be infected with flagellates. I figure that's a good line of thought. She tried to get him to poop, unfortunately requiring some rather uncomfortable q-tip maneuvering. Darwin was a very good sport about it but the tank was empty after being home alone for the weekend. The very fresh sample is required for flagellate testing so we're going to load him up on more bugs and veg and bring him over first thing on Wednesday to better fit his schedule. Hopefully it will work out and we get further into the mystery of his watery poops. He got extra BSFL and silk worms when we got home for being a good sport. He's a very relaxed little guy. Cooper would have had none of it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
And he was up to 393g this morning which is the highest weight so far. He is in another shed. Third time this month. Bands around his new bulging arm muscles and the base of his tail which I take as a good sign. Nose is about to shed again too so maybe the deformity will correct itself.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He sure is a good sport, not many dragons would even allow anyone near their vent area without alot of moving around. Good boy Darwin, maybe your vet is onto something and a fresh sample Wed am will prove it. Hopefully that will make his poops better.

Glad he enjoyed being outside, except for the crow, that is. I'm sure the honey will heal up that scrape on his chin. Glad he's gaining steadily!

My Imp is up to 201g and 15" long at almost 7 mo old, no idea if that's good for his age or not but he's finishing the last of his panacur treatment this week and hopefully no more worm eggs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I'd consider that a good weight for him. He's almost as big as Darwin at a year! Granted, all of my dragons have been relatively small so my advice may be skewed. I can't believe the little guy is so big already. Seems like you just brought him home as a bitty guy. That's how it goes I guess. Hopefully the Panacur is successful. It's a very good medication.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
It is always ridiculous how fast our beardies can actually run. I know I've seen Diablo move fast, but she rarely has a reason to move fast at all, especially since she just clings to me when she is scared. :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I brought him home Jan 17 and he was 60 and lost 10g that week. He was short on calcium and Vit D3, as he was tremoring and having seizures and I took him to my vet. I make up a mix that he ate for a month, then he started eating bugs, crickets, small super worms and his favourites, roaches (he's almost cleaned me out!) and he's been gaining steadily since. He's now shedding his back and an arm and a leg and I think his belly, too. So he's definitely growing. He's so funny, he discovered that he had a hide a few weeks ago. The minute lights go off, he disappears into his hide, scratches at the newspaper and falls asleep, like clockwork.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Rampagingraptor":k55dnf4d said:
It is always ridiculous how fast our beardies can actually run. I know I've seen Diablo move fast, but she rarely has a reason to move fast at all, especially since she just clings to me when she is scared. :lol:

Right? They sit there doing nothing for a while just to throw us off when they could really toast all of us in a race without a second thought.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":3o0gktl9 said:
I brought him home Jan 17 and he was 60 and lost 10g that week. He was short on calcium and Vit D3, as he was tremoring and having seizures and I took him to my vet. I make up a mix that he ate for a month, then he started eating bugs, crickets, small super worms and his favourites, roaches (he's almost cleaned me out!) and he's been gaining steadily since. He's now shedding his back and an arm and a leg and I think his belly, too. So he's definitely growing. He's so funny, he discovered that he had a hide a few weeks ago. The minute lights go off, he disappears into his hide, scratches at the newspaper and falls asleep, like clockwork.

I remember your early worries. I'm glad to see he's doing so well. Quite a character! It's good that he has a place and knows where to burrow down when it's sleep time. Darwin does the same when it's lights out and digs down into his fleece blanket under one of his hides.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Poor Darwin. I hope the scrape will heal fast and that he won't run off like that ever again.

How could he have obtained flagellates in his system??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I have no idea. Since I have such little information about his first year before he came to me a lot is a mystery. He has suffered very watery mushy smelly poops since as long as I've known him though.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Cooper. It's amazing how fast they can move with a crow overhead. Mystic frantically leaped off the table out back, onto the deck, flatten out and black bearded when a crow was flying. They move fast, lol.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Went to the vet again this morning. Got a sample under the microscope within minutes and saw a TON of flagellates swimming around. I'm not all that familiar with them but if I was looking at coccidia or pinworms I'd consider it to be a pretty major infection. It was a big enough sample that we're sending the rest out to a lab for detailed analysis but we have a good target now. Going to have some new meds formulated and sent out. Hopefully that will be it. Not sure where he got infected but if his previous owner was into aquariums, perhaps unsanitary conditions around those may have caused it. Just a guess though.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom