Coccidia...bunch of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRIFFON59

Hi, I'm a newbee to this site and hope to get some info on my juv Beardie. Got her at PetsMart 5/21/15 and she was probably 3/4 months old. Was told she was a "Fancy" Bearded Dragon, very orange and kinda smooth. (Haha fancy!!) She's a huge eater...loves greens and fruit, eaten in her cage, probably 20 small crickets twice a day fed in a small plastic container box outside of her cage, plus 20 Phoenix Worms by hand, plus bit of scrambled egg too. Took her for wellness check a few days ago...exotic vet said she looked great, liked how I was caring for her, good weight (215gm) good setup, did a fecal and called a few days later saying she has a really high isospora coccidian parasite count/infection. Rx Albon once a day .03 for 2 weeks, stop for 2 weeks then redose for 2 weeks !! Then recheck fecal. She's only had 2 doses and it has already affected her appetite...barely ate today. I'm SO worried about her. Been reading how awful Albon is...why would he Rx her for such a long time?? Also...in the a.m. after I feed her breakfast, she gets a warm bath which she promptly goes potty in. Then I put her in a nice ,sunny open (screened) window for a bit or back under her lights and I dump the plastic container into the toilet and bleach it out. She rarely goes potty in her cage, if she does I remove the reptile carpet, clean underneath with reptile furniture cleaner and bleach carpet and hang dry,replace with spare. I feed and bathe her in the same plastic container. Now I read that bleach doesn't kill the parasite so have I just been reinfecting her all this time ? She has never acted sick...tho her poo smells pretty gross, but isn't it suppose to?? She quite active, alert, seemed just fine. I have no idea how to get her to take a probiotic...giving her the Rx is pretty awful. I'm SO scared she'll get sick from the stupid Albon and I'll lose her =( Thoughs/advice/help??? Thanks so much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry your pretty girl [ sounds like an orange leatherback ] has this problem. I think giving Albon for that amount of time may do a lot of harm and I personally would cut it out if my beardie stopped eating. There is another anti coccidial med. called Ponazuril....you can actually purchase it from beardeddragon.co. You only need a few doses compared to the Albon and it's less harsh. Someone may have other suggestions.....the go to person here is one of the mods. named Tracie [ username Drache613 ] Send her a p.m. and see what she thinks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Vicky,

I did PM you so let me know you received it! :D
How are things going today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom