The life and times of Zaxxi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure I should probably just start my own thread. :)

So far we have been having a great time getting to know each other. My kids are in love, my husband is in love. The dog has decided that she doesn't mind sharing cuddles (don't worry - very well trained dog and I'm on high alert anytime they are near each other). One cat has decided to pointedly ignore the thing in the tank. The other cat is all "CRICKETS!!!!!!!!!" and will attack the tank when she sees one.

Only 1 major mishap so far... I'm starting a meal worm colony (partially for Zaxxi and partially for my friend's chickens) and right now it's in a large tupperware sitting above the heat lamp on the wire tank lid. Last night my 8yo was saying good night to Zaxxi and some how managed to knock the container off the tank... Suddenly there was a 4 foot diameter circle of meal worm food/bedding and ~250 tiny worms on the carpet. :shock:

I spent almost an hour picking up the tiny worms, one by one by one by one.

I've already shared these pics, but they are my current favorites!

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I chopped some dandelion leaves up and added some meal worms. She sat frozen in her cage for a solid 10 minutes due to her unimpressedness with the idea that she may eat greens rather than crickets.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What a cute little beardie belly! :D They are so sweet at that age, aren't they?
She will grow quickly!

Tracie

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
And it appears that she does not like butterworms. She is absolutely uninterested in them. She licked one the first time I offered them, and since then she ignores them completely. lol

So... What do I do with 25 butterworms that my picky dragon won't eat...

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do not see it!!!!!

See!!! It isnt here. I dont eat butterworms!!!! Mealworms or crickets!!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd hang on to them. They can last a while if they're kept cool. Try offering them later as a treat and see if her mood towards them changes. They should be mainly a treat anyway.

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She has really bonded to my husband. She is ok spending time with me out of her tank, but is mostly interested in trying to escape and explore when I have her. When he takes her out, she cuddles with him and will walk around on the couch and come back to him. He has fallen in love.

She's always alert and tense in my hands. But she will settle down and rest in his...

I was holding him when tiny kitty jumped up. (She's not a danger to him - she has was the runt of the litter and has "problems"...) She sniffed him and wasn't too sure and then he jumped onto her back. I mean, I watched her try to hunt a loose cricket for a solid 15 minutes the other day. She never came close. (Then my other cat who is 15 came into the room and in 5 seconds was enjoying a nice cricket snack)

Zaxxi thought it was a nice comfortable place to stay for a bit.

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Today's weird sleeping place... She's been there for 20 minutes, I have no idea how that's comfortable, but I guess it must be.

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
LOL

Giant poop and now she's basking normally. I wonder if her tummy was a bit sore or something. She refused breakfast yesterday and then ate a huge supper. Extra liquid came out with the poop, so she's not dehydrated. Just took in a bit more last night than was comfortable coming out.

We love her face. I love the contrast between the white of her throat and the green on her face.

kmc4392

Hatchling Member
That cricket looks a bit big for her. Does the pet store near you sell small medium and large? I know some places either have the tiny crickets or the regular/large ones. If you can try to get smaller crickets in the future, the general rule is food shouldn't be larger than the space between a beardie's eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom