Yellow Fungus? :c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I recently got a Bearded Dragon, on March 28th. I speculate that she is about 3 months old now, and she seems to be completely healthy. She has a very varied diet, salads with kale and vegetables in the morning and about 5-10 crickets a little while afterwards. She is very docile and sits on my shoulder often while doing household chores.
About a month ago I noticed a small deformity on her side. I at first thought it was just a dead and dried cricket stuck to her side, but after a while it never washed off. Later I noticed further discoloration, and in the last 3 days this new spot on her leg.
img_20150504_064944_646_by_apnucka-d8s42t6.jpg

img_20150504_064952_381_by_apnucka-d8s42xn.jpg

(sorry for the low quality)
She is still active, eats as much as she usually does. I hand feed her water every day to make sure she is getting enough hydration.
I'm worried, but this doesnt look exactly like other cases of yellow fungus.. I need some input, I'm totally new to this :c

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....yes, I'm sorry to say that it looks very much like Y.F. Try to find an experienced reptile vet because she will probably need the oral meds. [ itraconazole or voriconazole are the ones best used ] For now you can get some human fungal cream like Lamisil and apply it daily to those areas. Don't bathe her because that can spread it, but to keep her hydrated you can offer water via eyedropper or syringe directly on her snout. I see that you do it that way already, so that's excellent. :)

It sounds like she has a good diet, but babies need protein twice a day, and can eat 15 or more crickets in each feeding so try to increase the number of insects. Just be sure that they are no longer than the space between her eyes. You might check down the threads here for some of the older posts about Y.F.that have a lot of replies.

I hope that your little one will be O.K. !

FancyGermanTea

Original Poster
AHBD":gajwujzy said:
Hi there.....yes, I'm sorry to say that it looks very much like Y.F. Try to find an experienced reptile vet because she will probably need the oral meds. [ itraconazole or voriconazole are the ones best used ] For now you can get some human fungal cream like Lamisil and apply it daily to those areas. Don't bathe her because that can spread it, but to keep her hydrated you can offer water via eyedropper or syringe directly on her snout. I see that you do it that way already, so that's excellent. :)

It sounds like she has a good diet, but babies need protein twice a day, and can eat 15 or more crickets in each feeding so try to increase the number of insects. Just be sure that they are no longer than the space between her eyes. You might check down the threads here for some of the older posts about Y.F.that have a lot of replies.

I hope that your little one will be O.K. !
Thank you so much-
I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but I am fairly certain there is a vet nearby. I will see what I can do, hopefully she will be okay :T

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. I hope she'll be O.K. Just remember the name of the drugs I listed here. They are antifungal, not antibiotic.....you don't need an antibiotic so be sure the vet doesn't prescribe one.

FancyGermanTea

Original Poster
AHBD":1cdzvw21 said:
You're welcome. I hope she'll be O.K. Just remember the name of the drugs I listed here. They are antifungal, not antibiotic.....you don't need an antibiotic so be sure the vet doesn't prescribe one.
Ive got an appointment for Friday, I'll see whats up. Thanks again c:

FancyGermanTea

Original Poster
I brought her to the vet who gave her a wormer (saying she should be bigger for her age and parasites might be the problem) and a vitamin a supplement which I put on her food daily. I switched her to mealworms from crickets, because they are easier to digest. He told us to continue our antifungal ointment treatment on her problem spots.
For a week or so, she seemed to be getting better. The bits of YF lookin skin on her leg began to chip off. She continued to eat normally, but the last 2 days she has not eaten or drank much. I filled her tank with crickets (her favorite) and she hasn't bothered to go after even one of them. She is slightly less active. I'm worried, what do i do? :C

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Has she pooped lately? The reason I'm asking is those mealworms cause impaction. They are hard for babies to digest. I'd get her some Phoenix worms. Those are more expensive, but way better for her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How is she doing ? You might try some chicken or squash baby food and add a bit of water for hydration. You can also try squishing a cricket until the guts come out and rubbing it lightly on her snout. Y.F. is very hard to treat, so I'm not sure what her prognosis is....I'm truly sorry that she has this terrible illness.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just wondering how your baby is doing, has the cream helped out with the fungal areas?
Let us know how she is doing. I hope that is improving, it is a very difficult ailment to treat & to completely cure many times.

Tracie

FancyGermanTea

Original Poster
Drache613":7rkzv47o said:
Hello,

Just wondering how your baby is doing, has the cream helped out with the fungal areas?
Let us know how she is doing. I hope that is improving, it is a very difficult ailment to treat & to completely cure many times.

Tracie
the cream did help, quite a bit! she went through a molt and lost almost all of the problem areas. She still has spots on her side and head, and she is acting normally again c:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific she has improved so much! :D I am glad that the cream did help out quite a bit, too & that she shed it off with her shed. At least she is doing well now. Let us know how she is coming along.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom