Solarmeters

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yeah, I saw mention of those as well but had no idea what they were. I just went back to the thread and I believe it was yours (I recognized Pepper's house). Sarina's link seems to be dead now so I couldn't get the info on the metal halides. You're a step ahead of me on those. Is this what you're looking into? http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/Lamps/70W-Iwasaki-Colour-Arc-PAR36 The limited charts I've seen seem to follow natural sunlight pretty well. I'm not sure I have the tools to properly test this though (I have only a 6.5 Solarmeter). Encouraging, but I'd want to see more data before putting it into use.
Iwasaki3.jpg

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Yep, that's the one. It's spoken of quite highly in the group (miles of threads) and by other keepers so I am confident in that particular one at this point. Bummer that her links stopped working, they were pretty helpful. There is a test report in the files section, mostly measurements and some charts. :study:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I've finally gotten around to testing some additional bulbs. 1 MVB, 2 T8's, and 2 CFL's. The results show that the tube style fixture really does put out a much wider and more consistent beam than the CFLs or MVBs which is better in my opinion. The Zilla Desert 50 again showed relatively intense output which is consistent with my two previous bulbs. I found that the All Living Things T8 is a Zilla Desert 50 in a different box. I took temperature readings with the MVB and that proved that additional heat would be needed to use it. It's output was also pretty unimpressive which would drive me to a MegaRay or Arcadia bulb instead. All bulbs are brand new and I gave them a bit of time to "warm up" before taking any readings. Again these are very much amateur readings taken with a Solarmeter 6.5 so I don't know the exact UVB output. I did the best I could with what I have but take the results with a grain of salt.

76248-4699420841.jpg

76248-8922886489.jpg

76248-7991071953.jpg

76248-7798083620.jpg

76248-9432289316.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yeah, it was pretty unimpressive. Especially when compared to the readings that Dr Baines posted with some of the other MVBs. Nice to rule it out for sure though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am not real surprised by those readings though! There are so few decent MVB lights anymore that put out a good UVB:UVI balance. I don't know if there will ever be a good quality MVB light again.
It is looking like the T5 bulbs are going to be the best option. I do use a combination of Arcadia bulbs, the T5 & the MVB.

Thanks for posting them.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Tracie, I'm doing the same thing, using MVB lights along with the T5's, all the Arcadia brands and they are lasting longer than expected, still getting very good readings with the Solar Meter and the beardies are very happy with them.

Yes Cooper, thanks so much for sharing your testing results. We do appreciate the time you spent doing that. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom