living with yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is highly concentrated. I would start with 10 drops to see how she does. You can mix it with water or juice daily. Have you already given it to her?
It doesn't have a strength of the solution does it, at least not that I saw anyway.
There should not be any toxicity to it either. :D
How is she doing today?

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much, no I haven't given it to her yet, I was waiting to hear back from you. I will give it to her first thing tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll mix it with apple juice since she likes the taste.

She's still good. Fat little pixel. Growing like a weed.

She lost the tip of her tail and a couple tips of her toes. My vet thinks when the fungus was in full force it took over and killed those spots and they're just finally falling off now. She doesn't seem to mind. Less fingernails for me to clip LOL

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so glad that Pixel is doing so well! :D She is growing a lot & has a good appetite. What a little sweetie pie she is.
That is great you are starting the supplement. Let me know how it works out for her.
So she loves the apple juice?

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AN UPDATE ON PIXEL:

i haven't been on in a while but i thought i'd let everyone know how she is doing.

Pixel still has yellow fungus. It's been over a year now that we've been fighting it.
We do not have her on any medication anymore, because in reality she's dying anyways. The medicine makes her unhappy and uncomfortable and she won't eat.
Without the medicine Pixel is a happy dragon that doesn't seem to know anything is wrong with her. To everyone else I'm sure she looks absolutely terrible and neglected but other people don't see her everyday and definitely don't see what I see.

Pixel wakes up everyday, goes to her basking spot for some sun and eats up all her bugs. She spends a few hours basking and then will munch on some pellets. She eats her salad every single day without hesitation and then continues to bask until bed time where she walks her self over and tucks herself in to her little kleenex box cave. Sometimes she will glass dance to scare her neighbor Anole. She will even gladly drink from her water dish every other day.

The yellow fungus has taken a lot of Pixels toes, about 3 inches of her tail, and she has no fat in her fat pads. She has fungal spores on the left side of her beard and left side of her belly. Her left hind leg is limp from the knee down. She manages around absolutely fine with all of this and hunts, dances and acts like a normal bearded dragon. She's friendly when she's not on medication and enjoys when she gets to come out.

I'm sure many people think I am doing this wrong by not treating her, but in reality this fungus isn't going anywhere no matter what I do, so why don't I at least let her be happy as long as she wants? The second Pixel shows any sort of discomfort or pain we will have her at the vet and will do whatever is right for her.

I know one day I will wake up and Pixel will no longer be with me, but when that happens I'll at least know I did what made her happy for her short life!

I'm thankful for everyone on this site that helped me along the way, and I hope you guys keep Pixel in your thoughts. She's definitely a fighter :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for the update. Poor girl. I'm glad she is happy and able to live a good life with you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Oh my, poor little Pixel. I was hoping that she was going to beat this! She sure has the fight though.
At least she is happy & loves attention plus eating, that is great. Bless her.

Tracie

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I support your decision to discontinue treatment. I know that was difficult, but you know best what she would want. It's great that she is able to enjoy the time she has left. She is so fortunate to have you.

Luv4animalz

Awe, I'm so sorry to hear about Pixel still having Yellow Fungus. I came across this post when I was just clicking around in the Health, Infectious diseases and Feeding forums. I support your decision as well, don't worry about people thinking you're doing the wrong thing. I don't think many would, if any. Pixel has been fighting this, with you helping her every step of the way, for almost a year now? I think the first post I saw was march. If she's happier unmedicated, I would take her off the meds as well myself. Have as much fun with her as possible from here on out. I'd even spoil her :wink: Give her an extra few treats here and there like Apples or Grapes.

I'm so sorry that she wasn't able to beat this horrible condition Sammy :cry: But I am so happy that she has you as a Mama! You seem very caring and loving - exactly what Pixel needs :love5:

Keep us posted, I will be following your posts on how she is doing. She caught my heart and stole it already! :)

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your kind words. It is very reassuring to know other people would have made the same decisions I did.

I will keep everyone as updated as I can on how she is doing.

And yes she totally is spoiled. She gets extra raspberries all the time because theyre her favorite.

Luv4animalz

sammmycakes":w7ie1d0w said:
Thank you everyone for your kind words. It is very reassuring to know other people would have made the same decisions I did.

I will keep everyone as updated as I can on how she is doing.

And yes she totally is spoiled. She gets extra raspberries all the time because theyre her favorite.

Awesome! :love5: She deserves it! xoxox

I had to make a heart-wrenching decision on December 24th (I know, perfect timing right?) to put our sweet kitten Lexi down. She had a severe foreign string obstructing her bowels and it was beyond repairable :( My man and I were willing to dish out thousands to save her life, but the attending Vet told us that even if they attempted the surgery, survival was very unlikely. There would have been a minimum of 10-12 incision sites, and with removing Foreign body objects from pets, the least incisions the better chance of survival. They aim for 1-3 incisions, maybe 4-5 at most. She was also already very tiny, 3 lbs. She was only 6 months old :cry: My heart still aches every day. It's been over a month already but feels like it was yesterday. Not to go off topic or anything, but I know exactly how you feel with making a decision like that. You know what Pixel needs and what would be best for her. :love5:

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Another update.

Today the battle came to an end, pixel is no longer with us.

Thank you everyone for your support this past year.
Its been very appreciated, and she left the world peacefully and very loved.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear that she is gone. You were a great friend to her and I'm sure she appreciated it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear Pixel lost her fight, and for your loss. I agree with the others - you did what was best for you both and that you allowed her enjoy her remaining time without the treatments sounds like it made her much more comfortable. My heart goes out to you.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry for your loss. :cry: You both fought the good fight, that's for sure. Dear Pixel is resting peacefully tonight. Sending you big hugs.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you everyone, it has been a very tough time for me.

Pixels beard went black on February 1, And I watched it until February 4 and saw no improvement and called my vet right away. I knew she had given up and that it was time even though I really wasnt ready.

She was a huge fighter and I am very very proud of her, and I'm glad she was able to show me when she was done fighting so she didn't have to suffer.

I don't regret the journey and I hope other people can learn from my experience as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom